At what age should your baby sleep through the night?

shanCa04

Asked by shanCa04 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sleeping through the night is only about 4-5 hrs. if you mean more than that my 2yr old just started.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My baby started sleeping through the night at about 3 months. She would go to bed at about 8 and then wake up at about 7 the next morning. That was also about the time we got her on a good daytime eating schedule. We had a brief time for the past month that she would wake several times but would go back to sleep after we came to check on her . She is 5 months old now and back to all night. The past 2 nights I have actually woken up and gone in to check on her b/c she didnt make any noise at all
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It varies - my dtr is 9months and has just started sleeping closer to 10 hours. Prior to that she would sleep about 7-8. With teething, colds, and even just randomly, she stil wakes up in the middle of the night.
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not till he was about 1 yr.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• All babies are different. Some sleep through after a couple of months for even up to 6 hours or so, but some don't sleep more than a few hours for up to a year or longer. There is really no "normal" for an infant when it comes down to it..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Mine have varied. DD#1 at six weeks old, DD#2 at 7 months, DS at 8 weeks. My twins are three months now and have not consistently slept through the night. They do sleep up to 5-6 hours most nights. I don't consider that STTN though. For me STTN is when they sleep 8 hours or more, but that's just my opinion!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 10:05 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It varies with all babies, routine at night time helps a lot though. I did a routine with 2 year old DD and she was sleeping 6-8 hours a night by the time she was 2 weeks old. Now younger DD who is almost 2 months old sleeps all night some nights (10 p.m. - 8 a.m.) but other nights she will wake up 1-2 times.
    xxjadedhaloxx

Answer by xxjadedhaloxx at 11:18 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't expect it until age 2, at least... if it happens sooner, good for you (and don't be surprised when they start waking again! haha!)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• All 5 of mine have slept at least 8 hours at night by 2 months old.

Answer by missanc at 12:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i know there is a general guideline but it all depends on the infant every child is different my first was pretty on target things got a lttle better around a month and she started sleeping through the night around three to four months and only woke average two to three times a night my second he had to be woke up he slept through the night untill he was six months old then he woke every two hours wanting to eat he was backwards cause at five he wakes up to eat drink and pee all night bout two to three timers with my new baby he wakes once or twice most nights and some nights were up all night it all dependson the child
    jojomomofthree

Answer by jojomomofthree at 4:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010