Spin off question to the "Pledge of Allegiance" thread

Since saying the Pledge of Allegiance seems to be a controversial topic, I was curious, and so I decided to look up equivalent "Pledges of Allegiance" in other countries, that ALL school aged children are taught and required to recite, as a way of teaching HONOR and RESPECT to their home countries!

So what do you think of the following? Do you still think America is horrible for teaching their school children to RESPECT their country, and HONOR those who fought for the freedoms we enjoy today? I have a hard time believing all of this controversy is over the word "God," and that there's more to it.

(give me a couple of minutes to post them as I have multiple windows open)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No one is forced to say the Pledge. I am an Athiest and I have never had a problem saying the Pledge or with my children saying it. The word God does not scare me or make me feel insecure. This new trend to remove the word God from everything is IMHO quite petty and stupid. If you don't like it, then don't say it. That is your right, and defended just as strongly as the right to say it.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I like our pledge. I get teary when I say it. (as an adult not in the school system it doesn't happen often.)

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't like the "under God" portion, don't say it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Do you still think America is horrible for teaching their school children to RESPECT their country, and HONOR those who fought for the freedoms we enjoy today?

I was thinking the same thing when mothers on here were against the President Of The United States talking to our school children.  If you were one of those moms, then you have no right to wonder if we are teaching our children about respect and honor. 

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Basically, Lori...I agree with everything you're saying. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. :)

Personally, I'm getting sick of spoiled Americans thinking that everything has to be their way, or otherwise they have no respect for our country.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I am an Atheist and say the pledge I don't say the Under God part and am not offended by it. I would have to care about religion to be bothered by it. I have never in my life been forced to say the pledge neither has my son. I live in the Bible belt people know we are Atheist and we are still treated well and have many friends. I wonder where some of you live that you are forced to say the pledge never heard of that. Is a gun held to your head or are you threatened if you don't say it? Just curious.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 10:51 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• lori, can you imagine how long our pledge would be (and all our kids would hate us!!) if we incorporated pieces of every country's pledge into our own? y'know, to better represent our 'melting pot' of a country...*snicker*..so far, there are pieces of each pledge you've C/Ped that i'd agree with. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• LoriKeet... the problem is that God has no place in our Government- that's the way the Fouding Fathers wanted it. To change it and put God there changes what our Country was intended to be- which is a place for everyone- regardless of beliefs- to live in happiness, harmony and without fear. To put God there causes division and we are no longer United. You can see it here in this very question- if you don't say it, you're anti- American. If you don't like the God part, then stop bitching and don't say it- it's causing anger, hate and division- everything our Country is not supposed to stand for.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• . the problem is that God has no place in our Government- that's the way the Fouding Fathers wanted it

That was not the intent of our founding fathers. The intent was to not make laws respecting ONE religion over ANOTHER. There is no mention in the pledge as to whether that God is presbeterian, catholic or baptist or muslim.

You are showing your intolerance.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Kids are not forcedto say the Pledge in school. There were several children I grew up with that never said the Pledge because they are JW and one because his father sent a note saying he did not want his child saying it. These parents did not froth at the mouths and attract national news, because they politely broached the subject and everyone got what they wanted without making it a crusade against the word God.

ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Butterfly, I find it hard to believe that any school officials hold enough power to stomp on anyones constitutional rights. If you truely do not want your child saying the pledge then you need to go up the chain of command for your schools home district and have the policy changed. Even if the school thinks that it is disrespectful or unusual for your child not to say the Pledge, it is not up to them. You have a right not to say it and so does your child.

Bandgeek, As far as standing or remaining silent during the pledge or when a moment of silence is being observed, not doing so is disrespectful to the people who do recite the Pledge and pray during a moment of silence. I am Athiest, but most of my family is not. I do remain silent when they pray and have taught my kids to do the same. I respect other people and thier religious practices and my kids do too.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 18, 2010