reward chart

I have a 6 year old girl and 7 year old boy ,neither one of them help out alot and my daughter is loud she doesnt listen too well as far as ill have to tell her 2 or 3 times in the morning before school to get her shoes on and brush her hair I need to make my kids more responsible they dont even put their homework back in their back pack i do and i would like to make a chart with stuff they are responsible for and than they will get sticker on that day if they did what they were suppose.What is the best way of going about it?Do you have a reward chart for your kids?I would love any advice that i could get,thankyou.

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I hope you get some good answers b/c I have a 5 yr old and a 12 yr old girls and I am in the same boat. They do nothing for themselves. I am a SAHM and as long as they are getting the great grades in school, I kind of let it slide, but it is a pain sometimes and think I am teaching them the wrong lessons on independence!
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 10:21 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have a dry easer board with a checklist for the day on it. Plus my son gets an money for chorus. He use to have a check list. If he gets all his checks, he'll get a treat at the end of the week. Treat meaning anything I feel like giving him. There's no set surprise or anything. Sometimes it will be a toy, the next time we'll rent a movie, the next time he'll get a bedtime movie. =)

Its easy to set up, but hard to get them to follow, my advise to you sweetie, is to STICK TO IT. Don't let things slide once you get started. Keep it up & before you know it, they'll be in the habit of doing things.

John knows before bed he has to feed the dog, & the cats, put away silverware, Check his pack back to make sure everything is in it. (I go behind him to triple check. but thats just me) & knows he has to pick out what he wants to wear before bed. Pick up all the toys from the evening.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It worked for me. I did that for my first two daughers when they were 11 and 12. The chart came with stickers, and was reusable. I would give them a reward at the end of each week. They were actually excited about it, and it worked. I used the chart for about a year. After that, they knew what was expected of them, and they did it. I purchased the chart at Walmart. Good Luck!:)
    Natly2007

Answer by Natly2007 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When my kids started school we set up a routine/chore chart/responibility chart type thing. First we would put on there things like make bed, brush teeth, do homework, layout clothes for next day, etc. Now we don't need the charts anymore. They come in from school, give me their folders, and start their homework. After homework is done and I have checked and signed off on it all, they put everything back in their backpacks and hang their backpacks up on the hooks by the front door so they can do it all over again the next day. The stickers helped for a while. But when that quick working we started doing marbles. At bedtime everyday we would get a handful of marbles (each child had their own jar) and give them a marble for every good thing that they did (not fighting, doing homework, going to bed the night before, etc.) and for everything they didn't do, they would lose a marble (fighting, arguing with us, not going to
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• bed, etc.) and whenever they filled up the jar (it was a small one) they would get an ice cream that weekend and when the little ones got filled up we would pour them into a vase. And when the vase got filled up they would get a new toy, with like a $20 limit or so. It worked great!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010