When YOU make beef stew, do you toss the beef in flour first, or do you brown it first?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 9:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I brown it with a little bacon for added flavor.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 3:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• that's how i brown it..toss it in flour, then into the skillet/pot to 'brown, with a tad bit of oil.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I do neither.. I throw it in the pot... cooks for 6-8 hrs...(like a pot roast) comes up great!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I toss in flour, then brown in a bit of oil and some sliced onions. I then put it in a baking dish with carrots add a bit of water and cover with foil and bake an hour. Bring it out of oven add potatoes and more water if needed. Recover and bake an additional hour. Bring out of oven and add two envelopes of brown gravy mix and toss. Serve with biscuts and cottage cheese. One of our faves. You can add any veggies you like, corn, peas etc. Lots like it with whole tomatoes..but we are not fans.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well I'm going to tell you what I do I put the beef in the crock pot with a package of brown gravy mix and let that cook most of the day then I open up my home canned vegetable soup mix and cook for a couple hours longer to get all the flavors to marry together then I either thicken it with a mixture of flour and water just basically a paste to thicken the water or I leave it like it is. There now you have my recipe. I make some of the best homemade stew there is
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• interesting..browns it in oil?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:32 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My mom always coated with flour first. I remember it being good. I don't eat meat anymore though, so I don't make it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

Same here.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I always flour first than brown it, been making it like that for years. I don't see a big difference the flour only acts as a thickener, so either way will work out as long as you have enough butter in the pot.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:01 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I toss it in flour and brown it in oil like some of the other posters said.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 18, 2010