Boys with Baby Dolls?

My son Has this Doll that looks like a baby and its even dressed in a light blue outfit.. He doesnt play with it alot but I call it his baby.. My husband thinks hes going to be gay now.. and hes only 15 months old.
The only reason I really bought it was to help him understand caring for a baby so when we decide to have another baby he will be ok with it. Is there anything wrong with that?

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 5:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has had a doll since he was 1 month old. It's a little Beanie Baby doll and his name is Boomer. My son is 7 and Boomer still sleeps on the bed with him. They were inseparable until he was about 4 1/2 years old and then he started outgrowing Boomer.
    He is all boy. He loves anything to do with the military, sports (hockey is his new favorite), rough housing, cars, etc but he also loves to play house with his baby sister. They cook with her play kitchen and he helps her take care of her babies. He is an awesome big brother to her and I think he will be an awesome dad some day too. Playing with dolls will not make you gay.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• NO! My boys play with my shoes and old purses... at that age it's just a toy. They don't put any "sex" identication with toys at that age... If he was 15 years... Then I'd say you hubby right but at 15 months, let him go!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Nothing wrong with it. Men are just worried that it's feminine and will decrease their boys masculinity. Tell him not to worry and it will teach your son to be a good daddy/big brother when it's time - My bro had dolls and he is NOT gay (and he is great with his daughter!)
    Anonymous

• Thank you thats what i said.. Theres a video of my husband at two walking around in his moms heels.. And I told him that he looks at it as a toy not even an actual boy baby
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 5:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I'm so sorry to say it, but your husband is dumb. :(

My daughter is 15 months old as well. Shes going crazy when she can play with other kids and with her dolls. Yeah, of course, shes a girl. But kids at this age dont really know the difference between male and female yet. All the kids of my mommy-friends (same age as my daughter, all boys) play with dolls too. And thats because they love to play with other kids. They see the doll as a child to play with, like their friends and not as girl/boy.

Your son wont turn out gay just because hes playing with a doll. hihi :)
    If he turns out gay, then just because thats what will make him happy.

let him play with the doll. No matter if its dressed blue or pink. All the boys i know played with dolls.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I got my guy a Dora doll. Hubby looked at it a little strange at first but after seeing how much baby liked it, he was okay with it. I don't see a problem with it. I played with GI Joes when I was little, I dont see why my little guy can't play with dolls :).
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 5:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• no no no, I actually think it's a good idea, I think my hubby would be the same way lol. But it's fine
    Anonymous

• haha my husband's said the same thing about our son! First off, I don't care if he turns out gay, playing with dolls isn't going to make him gay or anything...and second off, I tell my son he's a good dada (he's 2), and he's proud to take good care of his baby, just like his dada takes good care of him :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Not at all. my son is 18 months and I would let him play with with his (girl) cousins dolls and now that he has a baby sister, he's very caring and attentive to her . If anything, it may just be another way of teaching him how to be even greater when he's grown and has a wife.
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with your son having a doll. My son is 8 years old now but when he was 4 and 5 he loved his sisters dolls so much that when my husband would go to Home Depot, my son would take his doll in a pink stroller!!!! Up and down the aisles they would go, my husband embarrassed and my son being the doting father!!!! My son is definetly all boy, skateboarding, soccer, baseball, you name it and I think he'll be an awesome dad some day too!!Playing with a doll doesn't make you gay!!!!!
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 6:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2008