Does anyone feel uneasy when they question there beliefs?

I have been questioning my beliefs for the past couple of months. I have been a Christian for as long as I can remember, and even though I do believe in God, I believe there is truth in all religions, and that christianity is not the superior religion. I also believe there is false in each religion and that goes with Christianity too. I don't know why this is making me feel uneasy like im going to be striked down or something but I just know that I do not agree with most of what I have been taught within the church. Just wondering for those that have questioned there beliefs did you get that uneasy feeling as well, and what came out of it, did you change your beliefs or become more accepting of other beliefs in the process.

lisadallasr

Asked by lisadallasr at 9:44 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did, at first. However, when I realized that just because I wasn't following everything I always had didn't make it wrong, I felt at peace. I believe that there is no "right" religion. I don't think that you have to believe or follow the Bible in order to go to Heaven, which I had my entire life. Im' a Unitarian Universalist,which pretty much accepts all religions. I refused to believe that just because someone was on not part of ONE religion that they were doomed. I believe in a loving God, and I also believe that God doesn't EXPECT us to know exactly what to believe in. It's almost impossible in this day and age. I think that it more matters if you're a good person or not. Best of luck on discovering how you truly feel. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I did at first, but it's because you are taught that it's blasphemous to question the church. I like to take the Bible back to the original language when I have a question.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:10 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I felt uneasy at first, because I was taught that even learning about other religions was wrong, so I just felt like I was doing something wrong. But the more I learned and found out what I believed, the better I felt. I am still a Christian, I am just more accepting of others and feel I have more peace and love in my heart.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• [4:1] Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. [2] By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, [3] and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.
    (1 John 4:1-3 ESV)

No. We are taught to test the spirits. The danger comes when you believe the false spirits.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't. That is how we grow. Questioning and growth are only natural. :)

I'm not trying to push anything on you, but do you know anything about Christian Universalism? Most of what you said you believe lines up with what we believe. :)

christianuniversalist.org, if you're interested. And no hard feelings if you're not! You have to decide what works best for you, and there are many, many options. Unitarian Universalism, Baha'i... You might want to take the beliefomatic, lol, just get a feel. That's if you don't feel you can align your feelings with the Christian faith. Some of us don't find a real issue with it, but for others its harder.

Just don't let it make you feel bad to question. That is how you get closer in understanding and in your relationship with God. Its completely normal and natural, and you have to listen to your own heart and convictions. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When I was a Christian I did... a lot... I believed it was those guilty feelings that kept me from looking beyond Christianity even
    tho I knew there had to be more out there...
    Finally I just did it... Just started exploring, reading more, researching and finding answers to questions that most often
    were not answered ...
    I believe that by questioning your path it gives you strength, it gives you insight and in some cases (such as mine) you
    find your TRUE path wither it's in your current belief or in another as mine was in another...
    You are going to have to over come those feelings and search YOUR heart, search YOUR soul for what YOU feel if right
    for YOU...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:47 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thanks for all the answers so far, I have acutally looked into Christian Universalism, but there is not any church in my area that practices that, but I do line myself up more with those beliefs than what is practiced in my nondenominational church, it just feels scary to question my beliefs when that is how I always thought, but I will be honest I never was open to other faiths until here recently when I really started questioning certain behaviours and things I seen going on in the church and not just my church, church in general.
    lisadallasr

Comment by lisadallasr (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No. It is perfectly normal to question your beliefs. I have been Catholic all my life and question my faith on occasion. It is part of being human.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, not at all. If I don't question, I don't grow... And growth is the best part of life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• when I was a tween I was at a pow wow. when the girl next to me asked how do we know which way is the right way. And I loved the answer the chief gave, he said if you take all religions in the world and line their stories side by side you will notice that most of the stories are the same. they may not be word for word but the teaching or message is the same, and the few stories that don't match well my dear those are just stories.reading

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 11:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2010