S/O on legislating morality .... legislating emotions

I noticed that most of the answers on the other post state that we should not (and cannot) legislate morality. So what about legislating emotions? I'm thinking of "hate crimes" in particular. Can we legislate emotion and force people not to hate?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• :-/ 

idk, I read what Jenny wrote and what she says is true. I've never thought about this issue before.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I've always thought that hate crimes were not only redundant but unconstitutional. We can't separate people in to classes and offer one class more or less protection based on their race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc...nor should one person be criminalized more for the motive behind their crime. This is criminalizing thought, and it's scary.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• To me, all crime is a form of hate, regardless of the reason or type of crime. At the very best, it stems from a complete lack of respect for anyone else. Some people try to justify their crimes, others deny them. I can't find a way to condone an crime, regardless of the reasoning. I find it even harder to abide by the pitiful excuse we have for 'justice'.

The COTUS guarantees a fair trial, but it says nothing (and I can't find anything that even implies it) about treating a suspect or a convicted criminal better than their victim. It says nothing about handing criminals things that others have to work for or do without. Nothing will make me believe that justice has anything to do with a lawyer earning more money for successfully defending a guilty person.

Laws legislating 'thought' would be no more effective than any that attempt to legislate crime or morals. They are useless except for punishment.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No one can control the feelings of others, just restrict the actions caused by them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:27 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The idea that 'all crime' stems from hate is silly. If I broke into your house and stole your TV, i didn't do it because I hate you. If I ran over you with my car because I was drunk, I didn't do it because I hate you. If I beat the crap out of you as part of a gang initiation, I didn't do it because I hate you.
    However, if I beat the crap out of you for sleeping with my husband, I did it because I 'hate' you. Just like if I beat the crap out of you for being...Mexican, I did it because I 'hate' you.
    And this is where the problem comes in. Equal protection means that whenever a law is applied, it must be applied equally to all the people it affects, and I absolutely believe that hate crimes legislation violate the constitution. So no matter why I beat the crap out of you, my charge and punishment should be similar (all other things - state the crime took place in, extenuating circumstances, prior record - being equal).
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 5:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Hate crime only refers to a crime committed out of hate. Its not the hate that's a crime, but the fact that the crime committed was committed in hate shows an intentional prejudice....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well, a hate crime is an act against someone else, it is a reaction to an emotion, keeping people from committing a hate crime isn't telling them not to have that emotion, just to express it in a non violent way that doesn't hurt anyone else. The people who hold up signs that say "God hates f*gs" aren't "hurting" anyone, they are free to express their hate and have those hateful emotions as long as they don't commit a crime and/or hurt someone as a result of those hateful views they have.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Legislation against Hate Crimes is NOT the same as Legislating Emotion. There is no law that states you can't Hate. But anytime that Hate drives you to harm another person action should be taken. If you wish to hate, there is nothing we can do about it, on the other hand, if you attack someone simply because they are Black, Islamic, Female, or whatever action has to be taken. BIG difference! Hate Crimes are NOT emotion they are crimes committed solely because of emotion - yes - but emotion did not commit the crime. MILLIONS of people hate, but they don't all commit hate crimes!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• OK...in order for something to be a hate crime, it first must be a crime:

Calling someone a f*g, or a n****r...not a crime.

Beating someone with a baseball bat IS a crime.

Calling someone a f*g, or a n****r WHILE beating THEM with a baseball bat is a HATE CRIME!

And how do the cops tell the difference? I believe comedian Ron White said it best when he said "I had the right to remain silent...but not the ability." (See this is where the whole "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" thing comes into play.)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• so is the term hate crime redundant then.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010