First generation in history to likely die before their parents

due to childhood obesity. What do you think is to blame for the rapid increase in childhood obesity? What should be done about it? Should the schools step up their physical education and health programs? Parents be more involved and limit video games, TV time, and junk food? What is the answer, if there is one?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 10:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is parents buying the junk food like mcdonalds for their children, buying the video games that keep them cooped up in the house. Need more gym time in schools and better food in the schools, the lunch meals are actually very bad. Taking out all the junk food machines in the schools. Really comes down to personal responsibility. Its not just any one thing. You should watch the movie Super Size Me, its really very interesting.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:39 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yuck, i've seen it. Made me never want to eat Mcdonalds again! Very disgusting!
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Honestly, I blame the parents. They should be the one teaching healthy eating habits and exercise. They should be serving fruits and veggies at every meal. I dont see how its anyones but the parents fault. Schools should only be there as reinforcers at teaching our children things about health. Parents need to take control of their childrens weight and be responsible.
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The shit in our food (excuse the language), but our parents did not grow up eating frankenfoods.
    The lack of Physical Education in schools and outside the schools.
    Kids are too involved in video games and TV and don't want to go outside and play.
    The way neighborhoods are set up now to where it's hard to even ride a bike. Plus there are whack jobs out there so the days of playing in neighborhoods, parks, or other activity make any parent leery.
    Figuring ways around the things I mentioned could go a long way. We are turning into a nation of characters from Wall-E.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:42 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think parents are choosing NOT to see that their kids are getting fat. Or the parents are fat themselves and don't see anything wrong with it. NONE of my parents kids were ever fat because we just didn't just junk food and we played outside ALL the time and were active. There are 5 of us. One is kinda of Chubby now because he just sits around (hes 30 now) but the rest of us are still all SKINNY.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think the first envolved here are the parents, and after is the school , the education should be given by parent and school only help on that . better start from the matrix ( HOME )
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 10:43 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Blame the parents.
    When I was a kid, I used to play ALLL DAMN DAY outside. Rain, Sun, Snow, whatever. I was out and being active. Riding my bike, walking in the woods, playing Hn'S, Tag, dirt biking, four wheeling, riding horses, playing in the crick. Now a days, parents are so lazy themselves they dont push their kids to be active. They think 'as long as they're quiet and I can get my work done...I don't care'. Plus fast food is even more a lazy solution. I make (semi)homemade meals MOST of the week. Is it alot of work? Yep. But is it healthier? You bet. And I get a sense of satisfaction when I see the smiles on my husband and kids faces when they like my meal.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 10:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The majority of overweight children, have have overweight parents. It's genetics, food and lifestyle choices.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:48 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Poor Parenting... Even when genetics is in play (as I have learned through my DR)~ people can overcome obesity. It requires Personal Responsibility. It's not easy, but nothing worth having is. If children see parents making the right choices, they too will learn from example.  Vice versa...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• One of the problems I see is that you can't really go outside and just play for hours like I did as a kid. I have to be by my kids when they are outside, that that automatically limits the time that can be spent. Also, I agree that school lunch is crap. The amount of pop and juice that kids drink is ridiculous, and portions are way too big. The best way to lose weight and eat healthy is to eat at home. Even a "junky" home-cooked meal is tons better than fast food or even a casual sit-down restaurant. I was depressed to find out that a Jimmy John's sub has ONE THOUSAND calories. Even if you eat 1/2 of it that is still pretty hefty for a lunch, (and way too much for a kid.) It does, however, explain the size of my ass! lol I WILL NEVER order JJs again at work, no matter how hungry I am, or how many people in the office are ordering it, or how fast it comes!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 18, 2010