How early is too early?

My son is just about 18 months old. He seems to be showing some signs of being ready to start potty training. But 18 months, especially for a boy, might seem too early for some. I'm just wondering if it would even be worth my time to try and start now or if I should wait a bit longer. Any advice??

Nora1

Asked by Nora1 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can start potting training as soon as your child is able to sit up straight by itself for at least 2-5 minutes.... which is at around 10months. ;)

So 18 months is almost too late to start potting training. Soon you can get a seat for the normal toilet for him and teach him how to use the toilet :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• It's been a long time since I potty trained my children, but back then we never started before the age of two. I remember that by the time our daughter was that age, she was waking up dry in the morning. I think that not all children develop the ability to control the biological urges at the same age. When the child does not have that ability, then basically you are just training yourself to catch them at the proper time. I don't think most 18 month olds have control yet and most are not able to articulate their desire to go potty. Also, I don't know where you live, but for some reason, I had better luck with the boys when the weather was warm.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my son was fully trained (eccept at night) by 2years and3 month, we went with his lead. He didn't want to be like the newborn baby so he decided to give up diapers. I would take it slow and let him lead. He will be out of diapers when he is ready to be.
    mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 6:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my friends son started at that age and was completely done by about 24 months.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If he is showing signs try it! My son is 22 months and is fully potty trained!!! It only took 3 days! Try using the 3 day potty training method. But be sure you BOTH are ready. You have to be ready to commit to it!
    jennie710

Answer by jennie710 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• there is no straight answer. Go with your son, if he's showing interest you give him the opportunity to try it (my son started to use the toilet b/f 18 months -- b/c he wanted to, regressed a bit after his sis was born this decided to go back to it and was 100% by about 26 months)
    Just put out the little toilet and let him go for it. Have him sit with you and if he has a usual time sit him on the toilet around that time then PRAISE him for when he does it.
    Ja did it a few times and then stopped then went back to it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My hubby was potty trained at 14 months! And my mom was potty trained at 13. There's a wide range of normality I think!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My son is 16 months. And from day one of him walking he has always gone in the bathroom when daddy is in there. So he knew what was supposed to happen in there. And one day it was just me and my little boy at home. I went in the bath room to go pee and he kept yelling "momma pee pee". I just thought he was telling me that I was going pee pee. But as soon as I got off of the toliet he put his lil potty chair on top of the toliet and wanted me to put him on it. Well not 2 minutes later he had pooped and peed in the toliet. He does it sparatically, but he does it. I think it helped that months before that i would just put him on the potty just to get him used to it. and it paid off big time.
    mommaliz0501

Answer by mommaliz0501 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My cousin's baby was potty trained almost completely before he was two. But, this was an ongowing thing between three separate households. His mom and grandparents were VERY dedicated to this.
    ASHsMommy08

Answer by ASHsMommy08 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2008