help baby wnt breastfed now and milk production is low

my son breastfed well in hospital later athome not so good and milk production is low

jojomomofthree

Asked by jojomomofthree at 12:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried pumping? Every 2 hours and drink lots of fluids and eat healthy to help your milk increase. If you are using a bottle he may not like the nipple and if he is on the breast don't wash or lotion your chest, they can taste that and it's not healthy either. Just let the shower water run down you.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If your baby is brand new, 1-5 days, then you probably are just getting your milk supply started. It's okay to think that your supply is low because it is. In the first 1-5 days you will only have colostrum. This is the first "milk" and it is there to provide high caloric nourishment to your baby along with extremely important antibodies and immunities. In the first 3 - 7 days, your colostrum will turn into milk and you will have more and more of that.

So while your body is working, its very important that you let your baby nurse on demand for at least 140 minutes a day. 140 minutes broken down into 10 minute nursings is about 14 nursings a day. 1 every 90 minutes or so. Breastmilk is a supply and demand thing. The more baby demands, the more you will supply. Women are capable of nursing twins and triplets! So one baby is usually not a problem. YOU WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ENOUGH MILK!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When you are going to nurse, do not wait until your baby is fussy.
    Also do it skin to skin. take off baby's shirt.
    Start off nose to nipple and wait for baby to open WIDE~!
    bring baby in to nipple. You want a great latch! It will not only increase the amount of milk baby is getting but reduce your soreness.
    baby should have both nose and chin touching your breast.
    Baby's mouth should be open very wide, if baby's mouth is open less then a 90degree angle, it's too small. Actually you are looking for a 140degree angle at the CORNER of baby's mouth. It's hard to see and would be great if you can find a lactation counselor in your area to help. (WIC office usually has them and for free)

At first it will seem like baby is nursing all the time but that is okay, we need that in order for your baby to help establish your supply.
    Hang in there momma! If you have any questions you can PM me.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Take off your shirt, strip baby down to only a diaper and get in bed together. Stay that way until nursing is going well!

If baby is not latching and nursing well you can hand express and spoon feed. There is a short video to show you how to do this at http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

Also check out baby-let attachment

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• THESE ARE ALL GOOD ANSWERS BUT MOST OF WHAT I TRIED I HAVE PUMP EVERYDAY ALMOST EVERY TWO HOURS SINCE T6HE DAY HE WAS BORN IB STIP HIS CLTHES OFF HELD TO THE BREAST I RUBBED MY NIPPLE ON HIS NOSE I HAVE TRIED LAYING IN BED WITH HIM THE ONLY I HAVENT TRIED IS TO WASH MY BREAST WEITYH ONLY WATER CAUSE I NOTICE IF IM MUSTYB OR SWEATY IT MAKES IT WORST I HAVE EVEN EXPRESS MILK LIKE MILKING HIM SQEEZE IT INTO HIS MOUTH IM DESERATE I HAVE TRIED TO BREASTFED ALL MY CHILDREN AND FAILED MISERABERLY SO IM DESERATE TO BREASTFEED THIS TIME CAUSE MY KIDS ALL HAVE STOMACH PROBLEMS AND DIDNT TOLERATE THE FORMULA SO THIS IS PROBALY MY LAST KID SO ITS IMPORTANT TO ME TO GET IT DONE AND THE FRUSTRATING PART EVEN IF I CAN PUMP A GOOD AMOUNT MY SON EATS SEVEN TO EIGHT OUNCES EVERY TWO HOURS AT THREE WEEKS OLD I HAVE HEARD THAT MOTHERS MILK ITS A GREEN TEA U DRINK HELPS BUT CNT FIND IT I ALSO HEARDOFF KELLYMOM THAT FERGULK HELPS DOES ANYONE KNOW
    jojomomofthree

Comment by jojomomofthree (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• take mothers milk tea or fernugreek. also baby is supposed to get 1- 1.5 ounces and hour. contact la leche league and see if they have a lactation ocnsultant at the hospital
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 7-8 oz at 3 weeks is entirely too much. Breast milk OR formula. Really, just put baby to breast every time he seems hungry. Do that, and if you are changing 6-8 diapes in a 24 hr period, then he IS getting plenty.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010