is it safe to breast feed while pregnant?

I hear a lot of conflicting information. Some OBs will tell you it's best to stop but they dont say why.
Lactation counselors tell you it's safe and back that up with research, but my OB is a doctor and went to school for years, they must know more then me and my lactation counselor, right?
I have heard Peds also say it's not safe. I'm so confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• am 21 weeks pregnant with my second , I was still breastfeeding my 18 month old, but she stoped nurcing on her own, like a month ago. but when i first got pregnant my doctor(which she also does breastfeeding classes) told me it was ok to nurse her , Just had to make sure you take in plenty of extra calories. And drink lots of water :) if your not high risk its fine
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 2:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• From what i know it is safe according to my Doctors but your milk supply will diminish after a few months. And your baby may want to even stop being breastfed because the taste and consistency will/can change too. My Mother breastfed me and when I was six months she got pregnant and I didn't want to be breastfed anymore and her milk supply dried up as she got further along.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 12:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• no cause your OB didnt study lactation only~ id listen to the lactation consultant. This is what she is trained in. I nursed my son while pregnant with my 2nd son.
    congrats! either way, listen to your instincs... mommy knows best!
    Allisonmoymoy

Answer by Allisonmoymoy at 12:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It's safe unless there are specific high risk factors (i.e. early and continued bleeding, sustained weight loss when underweight, that sort of thing) I nursed my toddler until four months in, when she decided she didn't like the taste, consistency (syrupy), or reduced amounts that she was getting- pregnancy hormones will significantly change your milk and often cause milk to dry up, then return as colostrum for the new baby. I had no problems with nursing and being pregnant, except I had to drink extra water since I get dehydrated easily. Nursing was the only time I didn't have morning sickness, so that was an unexpected bonus. My OB said only to make sure I was eating and drinking enough for three, and be strict on the prenatals.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010