Would the admission of a current political nominee's past "Dabbling in Witchcraft" automatically discredit them in your mind?

This morning their was a post in P&CE about Christine O'Donnell's admission of "dabbling in witchcraft" when she was younger and "How did she get the nom? Didn't anyone research her?" Which was all news to me, but I'm slow when it comes to politics...

Anyways, my question is Does her (or any other political figure's) admission of a history in Witchcraft - or frankly any other Spiritual practice that is seen as non-main stream - an automatic discredit of their political qualifications for you? Would you refuse to vote for someone because of that?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• yes
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, but then again, I'm not one of those idjits who actually believe this is a "Christian Nation" either.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• So Donna, would you prefer have a candidate who is less qualified or who's views you disagreed with simply because of a past spiritual exploration?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• no, and my reasons as the same as Not Panicking.

Who cares? I think more politicians should be HONEST! I mean seriously, how can they have been so freaken perfect their wholes lives to never have done anything bad, ever. Lets see a typical person, full of mistakes and normality come into office. Not some rich daddy's boy that has been groomed for politics since they were a baby.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not to me. That would be like discrediting her because she admitted she was Jewish or something. I don't base my ideas of a politician based on their beliefs or whether or not they practice magic. I base them on their actions and how they take care of this country. Which, let's face it, most of them suck at it! And anyway she was YOUNGER. Maybe it was an adolscent phase or a moment of curiosity. We've all played with a Ouija board haven't we?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• no, it is not a problem. A candidate's religious preferences should never be an issue.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Obviously as a practicing Witch, I prefer someone who's traveled my path... That said, I'm still not a big fan of this woman simply because she's so conservative... But I prefer my politicians to be qualified and have views that align with my own - to discredit anyone simply because of past religious or spiritual exploration would not only be hypocritical of me, but it would also go against all my beliefs...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• not necessarily.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• no. in fact there is a senator running here that is trying to force HIS beliefs down everyone's throat by banning hormonal birth control (pill, patch, iud, etc) and trying to ban abortion all together (including rape and incest). that would worry me MUCH more than someone who was openly pegan or wican. i'm a strong believer in seperation of church and state.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Ok, you had me with you at this point:

That would be like discrediting her because she admitted she was Jewish or something

And then you lost me here:

And anyway she was YOUNGER

Religion is religion, why does one need to be excused by youth and the other is acceptable?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010