Is your local hospital BABY FRIENDLY?

The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative promotes, protects, and supports breastfeeding through The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding for Hospitals, as outlined by UNICEF/WHO. The steps for the United States are:

1 - Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff.
2 - Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement this policy.
3 - Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
4 - Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
5 - Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infants.
6 - Give newborn infants no food or drink other than breastmilk, unless medically indicated.
7 - Practice “rooming in”-- allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
8 - Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
9 - Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 12:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The hospital where I delivered both of my kids was awesome. I told them I planned to breastfeed, so they added a little sign on the bassinet that said "I eat at mom's!" and scheduled an LC to come see me. They were totally supportive and helpful with all of it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The birthing center (which is part of the hospital) that I just gave birth at does all these things. My son didn't even get a bath until almost four hours after his birth, and my husband was allowed to help give the bath. He was handed to me as soon as he was born, and the only time he was taken out of the room was for his audio test at the 24 hour mark. Every nurse that I had made sure I was doing well with getting him to latch, and I got to talk to a lactation consultant before I left the hospital as well. They are very pro-breastfeeding. But they still did give the option of formula for those that chose differently than I did. I think they are very well-rounded.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• They must do ALL 10 things to be considered baby friendly. And being PUSHY is not on the list.

:) thanks for your reply.
    Roadfamily6now

Comment by Roadfamily6now (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes- mine is one of the 80 some odd on the official "Baby Friendly" certified list- the first in our state!

http://hrhonline.org/HospitalGuide/Services/Nursing/ChrisCoonsWomensCareCenter.aspx

I love it :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yep, its on the nationally recognized baby friendly hospital list.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1 - I don't know
    2 - Again, I don't know
    3 - Yes - CONSTANTLY! Even if you say you are breastfeeding they still drill it in as if you didn't already know.
    4 - Yes - again, they try and force it regardless of your wishes
    5 - Yes
    6 - No, they will give formula if requested by mother (they aren't going to let the baby starve)
    7 - Yes - My kids were with me from the moment they were born, rooms are built with all the baby stuff in them.
    8 - Yes
    9 - No - But I take my own anyways, because I don't trust that they have cleaned theirs and I want my kids to have a pacifier.

I think it depends on what you consider "baby friendly" - I would simply prefer "family friendly" which includes not pushing things like "no pacifier" and breastfeeding on parents who want other things.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010