If you have inverted nipples, how did you accomplish breastfeeding??

momma_alie20

Asked by momma_alie20 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't, but I've heard it's possible, just a little more difficult. If you're asking this for yourself, good luck and I'll give you a bump =)
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• See a good lactation counselor.
    It you pull on your nipple does it come out? what makes it come out?
    If you can stimulate your nipple to come out just before your baby nurses, try that!
    Some women use nipple shields but they are not necessary in most cases and can be hard to wean baby off of.
    Definitely find a lactation specialist of some sort to assist you.

Good Luck
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I didn't, but my dd did. She tried for a while, had a counselor, and all the other things you can try, but she finally gave up with the approval of three lactation specialists.
    GiGito1SoFar

Answer by GiGito1SoFar at 12:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You wear hard breast shells in your bra before the baby is born. It is very important the baby doesn't get any bottles or pacifiers. Don't use nipple shields while feeding except under the care of a lc or lll leader, Babies don't feed o the nipple. With a good latch a woman with inverted nipples may have no problems

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• upon brestfeeding my first child i had inverted nipples we had to do massage therapy to work them out i also had a virus called sterp b caused my milk to spoil which explain it cause she fought the boob so much we thought it was the nipples turn out when i pump and took it to the drs it was spoil and my son number two wouldnt breastfeed so well then our first day home at four days old i had n infection had to go into the hospitral and my mom had to care for him so he got bottle fed so i had to pump and dup at the hospital but my mom never came in good so when icame home aftera week which made my baby eleven days old we tried to continue to breASTFEED BUT ALL IN VAIN CAUSE HE WAS ALREADY USE TOR THE BOTTLE AND WITH MY THIRD CHILD ANOTHER SON I TRYING TO BREASTFEED HE ONLY GOT THE BOOB IN THE HOSPITAL NOW IM NOT MAKING MILK SO WE SUPPLMENTING AND HE BARELYS TAKES THE BREAST ABD HE EATS SEVEN TO EIGHT OUNCES SO UR NOT ALONE KEEP
    jojomomofthree

Answer by jojomomofthree at 1:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have one inverted nipple and dd just refused it. I tried a nipple shield and it kinda work, but I found it to be messy (dd would be sucking and it would fill with milk then slide off or something and spill milk everywhere). I just found it easier to pump out of that side until I went back to work and my milk dried up.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I used Breast Shields for the first few months, then slowly weened her off them and it worked great. Some lactation consultants don't like them, but guess what, they aren't the ones that have to stress about it. They work wonders. You can get them at Target. Get several though, because you need to wash them after every use.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• ooh, i wish you would have asked this question seven weeks ago! bf'ing would have been so much easier!
    i wore the hard shells in my bra all the time the first several days, and tried and tried and tried with dd to bf. i literally had to pinch the nipple into shape (not too hard - it's not supposed to hurt), and then let her latch on. have dh help you out, or prop your l/o high up on pillows, because i needed like six hands. after a while, the constant nursing of the baby will shape the nipple on its own. do NOT use bottles until bf'ing is well established. pumping also helps with the shape. one of my consultants suggested taking something cold, like a bag of frozen peas, and putting it just on the nipple. not the whole breast, just the nipple, right before feeding, to help the nip stand up. hope that helps! g/l!!! remember - breastfeeding is hard! i told my hubby that it was like learning to play the piano - but in less time!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 9:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2010