Would you still let your daughter do dance compitition?

My 14 year old daughter has been doing dance compitition for about 3 years. This year the dance school had more girls sign up for compitition. They took any girl that signed up even ones that are horrible. My daughter's favorite comp class is lyrical, which they had a group of 8 girls, this year they have 15 and half of them never had lyrical before. I am so mad because this will be humiliating for my daughter at compititions. It seems like the schools standards have dropped and their doing it for the money. It just isn't right to the girls who have worked hard and have years of experience and want to do well at compitition. My daughter and the other girls are very upset about it, some are talking about dropping out, including my daughter. I know if we try to talk to the teachers, they will get mad.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 12:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• So you would let her quit because she is superior to the other girls? If you ask me it will make her look better with a bunch of girls that aren't as good as her.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would be mad if i was your daughter and had to quit....she can help the other girls learn and I agree she will look better.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I dont agree with that. The same thing happend to me my sophomore year of HS.... that year our coach just took anyone (including a extremely overweight girl who didnt even want to do it) ALL our cheers were off and we were made fun of.... it wasnt worth me staying on a team of a bunch of new girls who sucked and didnt even want to put the effort in (did I mention they put us varsity cheerleaders in with the new junior varsity?) I would say if your daughter wants to drop out as well as the other girls... go somewhere else where their efforts will be recognized :D
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No Misteh, she won't look good, it's a group dance. The whole groups gets judged. She will do well on her solo, but not the group.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I understand that your daughter has worked hard to do well in the competition but you should also look at it from the owners point of view and also the point of view of the new students. The situation is not fair for any of you but life is not fair . The sooner your daughter learn that the better off she will be.
    n2thaxcape

Answer by n2thaxcape at 5:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Actually n2hazcape, I'm paying alot of money for my daughter to be in compitition. I expect her to be challenged and improve her dancing every year. It's not right that she will not be able to learn new things because they will have to spend most of the time teaching and helping the ones with no experience, which took my daughter years to get where she is now. These girls should not be competing if they have no training or experience, it's a compitition dance not a recreational dance.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• They certainly should split the girls into beginner/advanced classes. It certainly isn't fair to the girls who worked so hard to get where they are. Perhaps bring the split classes up to the instructors and owners. Not only will your daughter and the more advanced dancers be embarrassed but so will the girls who aren't as good. And perhaps if you and the others threaten to remove your students then maybe the fear of losing your money may motivate them to work this out. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would let her if she wanted to
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would probably try and find another place for her to take classes at that keeps the beginners and the more experienced in different classes.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2010