what do you think of taking kids to the bar??

me and my dad always go to a local bar in our small town, everyone there loves tyler, the owner even gives him like balloons and the dancing toys to play with when we're there, the bar is clean, a lot of my friends work there, and theres virtually no smoke, (they have these fans that work wonders :) ) Tyler loves going there to watch the games with me and eat fries and chicken, and Tyler walks around the place like he owns it lol. the waitresses even carry him around sometimes bc they love him so much, so if its "safe" is it wrong for me to take him there, and again this is small bar (maybe 100 ppl fit in it if that), and my dad is there with me and i always watch for ppl getting rowdy, so i dont really see anything wrong with it. what do you think?? and please b gentle w your answer if you think its wrong lol.

btw usually when we go its early enought that virtually no one is there :) but tonight it might b a lil crowded

DARKxXxangel

Asked by DARKxXxangel at 1:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• i guess it would depend on the bar. I live around columbus ohio and would never do that with my kids but most bars around me people just go to get drunk but if you know everyone and you feel that its safe don't worry about what others think
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Personally, and not to be rude, I wouldnt. Because your son is being exposed to smoke, and the drinking scene. Maybe instead of the bar... invite the ppl ur friends with there to a nice family restaraunt. JMO
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I personally wouldn't, but I see people at bars that do. I just wouldn't be comfortable with drunk people around my child, and if I wanted to have a drink I definatly wouldn't want my child there
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not trying to be mean but do you sort of see a trend here...you go to the bar with your dad...you take your kid to the bar. I'd get a babysitter.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• we go to a bar/restarant. for chicken wing night about 4X a year. we go early and its in the middle of the week On that day it is a more friends and family kind of place. On the weekends is when the atmosphere changes. I wouldn't take him to a place that is mostly or just a bar. this one is about 50/50

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• the smoke: theres like no way to totally avoid smoke, like walkin down the street and places like that. and the drinkin its mostly the same ppl in there so i know how they act when they are drunk, and most the times i have been putting him on the inside of me so ppl would have to get over me and my dad to get him lol. but everyone does have a point :)
    DARKxXxangel

Comment by DARKxXxangel (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• this place is pretty much 50/50, on the bar/rest. scale. but like i said its a small town and you basically know everyone in the bar, its kinda like a big house party i guess u could say. in my opinion a high school football game is worst bc the kids are unpredictable, but at a small bar you can hear ppl (my waitress friends) sayin about who is gettin mad and things like that lol. idk i just think its ok, its not a good thing to take him there, but its ok.
    DARKxXxangel

Comment by DARKxXxangel (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Some of my fondest memories of my childhood are hanging out at the local bar with my mom. We'd go during the day (before the drunks showed up) and play darts or pool or just hang out with the bartender who was friends with my mom. We knew most of the regulars and this one old guy always gave us money for the jukebox. My mom didn't usually drink when we were with her. We'd all sit at the bar and have Cokes and a bag of chips (this was a real bar, no restaurant but they sold candy, pop and chips so there were always kids coming and going).
    I was around people drinking and smoking my whole childhood. I do neither. I've never had a cigarette and rarely drink (like just a few times a year at the most).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• well i cant drink there or anything cause im not old enough lol. and i would never drink at a bar with or without my son bc i would b scared to drive home lol. i really want to take him bc its a chance to hang out with his Opa and Tyler LOVES football, he always has so much fun. plus we get a free meal from daddy lol.
    DARKxXxangel

Comment by DARKxXxangel (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well, I grew up with my parents taking me to bars and parties of their friends. I was always well cared for and I grew up to be an upstanding citizen lol. But, I don't have my children in those environments. Even though my mom did her best to shield me from the bad side, I still saw things I wouldn't want my children to see. So I'm split on this, I don't think it's wrong, but maybe not the best idea.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010