Does the bibble really say that? Where?

The other day I was talkin to my cousin and she was telling me how I don't let my husband be the "man" of the house. Just because we have a relationship were no one has to be the boss doesn't mean that he isn't the man. Her s/o is like the boss over there, he scream and he demand stuff, he never ask. She is telling all this thing and thats when I told here that's why *** and me aren't a couple, we will be killing each other. Then she told MY daughter that GOD doens't like that, theat when she have a husband he has to the boss and she have to obey and is in the bibble. I stoped the conversation because I didn't want to ask. But really.. Does the bibble really said that? Where? We have to surrender to our husbands anad be nothing? I think that a little extreme..TIA

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 1:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The bible does say that the man should lead the household, but it says nothing about the man being a tyrant. Yes, the man should lead, but the best leaders lead by making their followers equals! And the bible also states what kind of man a husband should be and this guy definitely isnt living up to that if he is not treating her with any respect (and it sounds like he isn't).
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes. The Bible does say that a wife is to obey and submit to her husband. But that does not mean that we are the husband's doormats for them to treat as a second class citizen. The Bible also teaches men how they are to treat their wives (Ephesians 5:25-31, they are to love as as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it). A Godly relationship will love and respect eachother.

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
    Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
    1Peter 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 2:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Many people take the submission thing too far. It never says to be controlling but it does say to be in agreement with each other. You are to walk side by side not one controlling the other. Someone just posted this the other day on my facebook : "Husbands : Your wives are NOT your property. Your wives are on loan to you from God as a gift and He is watching how YOU treat her."
    Husbands need to treat their wives like a queen... offering their heart, uplifting their wives to be all she can be and encourage her to fly. Too many husbands think wives are beneath them... this is definately the case in the middle east. Wives are treated as property there not as a help mate which is what God's intent all along. When He created Eve it was as a help mate to Adam. ( Btw Wives need to treat their husbands with Honor and Love as well.)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The Bible calls for a relationship of mutual respect and obligation. Both partners are to put the other first, in such a way that neither one is really above the other, because when both are lifted up, neither ends up on the bottom. Its an equal relationship, where the husband has the obligation of putting the wife and family before himself, and the wife is to do the same.

A truly Godly husband wouldn't abuse his role in a way that would belittle his wife or put her down. Its all about raising each other up. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• A rib, that is where a certain element within blood is created. Notice Genesis describes how Adam is formed, from the dust of the ground, and then the breath of life was imparted to Adam from God, creating a living animated human. Eve was formed from a rib, and yet scripture doesn't say that God breathed the breath of life into her. It can be assumed that He did, but scripture tells us that the life is in the blood. There is spirtual significance and a detailed study into this concept shows us that through scripture in Genesis alone shows us that the spiritual aspect of man essential and we gain understand that the spirit exists within the blood as we are not to eat or drink blood, but pour it out on the ground. So let's look at this here. Adam was given the likeness of God by God, and Eve was given the spiritual likeness of God through man. This is where these important scriptures come from. Women are not subordinate.
    shannonGilmour

Answer by shannonGilmour at 4:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Im not sure where in the bible... but it says something like that... but not to that extreme. It basically says to respect and obey your husbands wishes unless they interfere with God's law. And it also says to love and cherish your wife and not to covet your neighbors wife(cheating) So there is some truth there... but she sounds a bit brainwashed by this husband of hers. Like he has made her believe that she is his slave. A married couple becomes one. Not one higher than the other
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh oh, yes the bible says this but we are getting this confused. I don't have alot of space to explain this, but I have done extensive study on the subject, drop me an email and I'll send you the info.

The scriptures have everything to do with how we as women were created. We are not lesser, and because everything was made complete through the means of the cross, everyone is equal. God treats women just as equally as He does men does He not? To hol someone in lesser regard, or to place them in a 'boss' or leadership type standing, is not equal partnership and subjects one person over another, through Christ we - meaning everyone, men and women respectively, we are not slaves. No one is a slave to their master unless they live by the law. We don't.
    So what does Genesis have to say? Eve was created from Adam's rib. What's so significant about a rib? A bone contains marrow, and marrow makes our blood, but a rib, that's...
    shannonGilmour

Answer by shannonGilmour at 4:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes. Yes it does. It repeatedly refers to the wife as her husband's property, to do with as he wishes (he can literally divorce her for the simple reason that he just doesn't like her any more). The wife is to be subservient to his wishes and be obedient. She is LESS important than the firstborn male heir. She is less important than the family livestock. She is only slightly more important than the family slaves and the girl children. The tenth commandment lists the property of the neighbor, the possessions that you should not covet and places the wife after even her husband's HOUSE. The N.T. states that a man should love his wife as he loves himself. But nowhere is he COMMANDED to do so.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• See I knew that it couldn't say something so drastic like she was saying.
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Sounds like she got her interpretation wrong. It does say something to that effect if you interpret it that way. This is why I don't put any faith in the bible. I would think an all powerful diety could make it's message unmistakeable to anyone who reads it. It shouldn't be twistable at all. But even the name is pronounced buy-bull which sounds alot like what they expect one to do. I am spiritual, but not religious. my conncetion to the higher power depends on me not what some men wrote over 2,000 years ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010