i am not making enough milk for my baby

what can i do, she is hungry and i have nothing to give her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is she? Why do you think you don't have enough? Check out one of the Breastfeeding groups. It could be possible she is just giong through a growth spurt or is having other problems. We really need more info before we can give you good advice. Formula is always a backup, but if you want to continue BFing, I wouldn't use that. Just keep offering her the breast
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 6:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• U could try pumping to get your supply up...and subplement with formula for now if that is ok with U
    Anonymous

• Make sure that you are drinking enough water & fluids !!!! VERY important in hot weather. Every time you nurse, DRINK !
    1happymom42

Answer by 1happymom42 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• You can also try Fuenuegreek (sp?) tea and eat oatmeal. I had to get a prescription from my dr to increase my supply.
    IlovemylilChase

Answer by IlovemylilChase at 8:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I know lactation consultants can be a little crazy sometimes but this is the type of thing they are here for. A friend of mine had an extremely hard time breastfeeding. Her consultant told her that the truth is..the majority of people can do it...you just have to figure out what works best for you. She ended up breast feeding for almost two years with the help of her lactation consultant! If I have issues feeding my next child I will definitely utilize the lactation consultants.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 8:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• pump, eat a lot, constantly until you get flowing and lots of water.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i found that staying in bed for a few days with baby and only getting up to eat and go to the bathroom, helps with bonding and will keep baby close to the breast so he can help get your milk supply up. there are many resources online, try 800-bestbeginning or la leche league website. good luck.,
    Shel6

Answer by Shel6 at 5:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Nurse, nurse, nurse. Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. Your body will make more if more is demanded by baby.

Mother's milk tea, fenugreek, eating oatmeal, and staying hydrated will also help your supply.

Whatever you do, do not supplement with formula...your body will only make less milk.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 5:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2008