• In the Spotlight:

My nepew who turns 2 in a couple of weeks still doesn't talk. He says alot of jibberish, but no words. Is this normal?

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 1:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont believe so. My 2 yr old speaks clear fluent sentences to me... anytime its jibberish is when she is throwing a fit. But all children are different, so I dont know
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• His temper tamtruns are really bad. At the restaurant yesterday he refused to sit in a highchair and through a fit when someone tried to put him in it. His parents put on a dvd to keep him from having fits.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My dr was really concerned about my daughters speech when she was 2 but she said as long as her vocabulary was at least 18 words she was ok and by 3 people who dont see her as often should be able to understand her
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would suggest having him tested for autism. it could be nothing just a simple speech delay that speech therapy will correct or something more. either way early intervention is the best course of action
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My sitters grandson just had tubes put in his ears. His pediatrician said he was fine, then they took him to a ENT doc and she said he had a double ear infection and had had it for a while. So they got him right in. Before the tubes he only said a couple of words and SCREECHED at the top of his lungs all the time. Now he is talking a ton more and doesn't do the screeching thing anymore. (He just turned 2 last month, btw) Maybe they can look into that and see if it might just be an issue with his ears?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My SIL had to put her son in speech therapy at 2 cause he only said like 10 words. The wanted him to say a bare minumum of 20, but closer to 50. I would definately talk to the doc at his 2 year check up.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• MommaTurbo, I don't think that is the problem with him, his mother is a pediatrician.. I think it's more mental.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I had never heard of a 2 year old speaking clearly until I came here. A lot of that goes on online for some reason. The children of friends and relatives we have been around weren't speaking complete sentences clearly until at least 3, with maybe one exception. Every child is different and by 2 years throwing them into speech therapy or automatically assuming Autism is extreme I think but if the parents really are worried, it's up to them to do something, not everyone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Every child is different and develop at different levels. If there really is something wrong only the doctor could tell.
    peytonsmom85

Answer by peytonsmom85 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• yes it is normal! I am a first time mother so I naturally compare my son to others his age. At his 18 months well visit I was given a questionaire at the ped. office about his milestones. One question was about his verbal skills. i wrote down that he doesnt say much and yes I was a bit concerned. The dr. took my comment to heart and had him evaluated with a speech therapist. he is now 2.5 and gets speech therapy twice a week. But the more I am learning about the developments in children, the more I am realizing all children develop when they are ready. My son is very intelligent in other fields, he just doesnt say much. I'm not worried anymore like I once was because he is after all only 2.5! It is such a race these days!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010