• In the Spotlight:

For My Homeschooling Mommas:

How do you deal with a husband who is adamant that your child should go to school? His only defense is about socialization (when we all know the truth about that) and because HE had a great time in school (and every woman knows it's easier for men that girls).

We've agreed to disagree and have taken the 'middle road' of saying we'll continue to think about it...but it's coming up fast. She's going to be 3 in November and I want to start her schooling early.

Did any of you have this? From your husband? Family member? Friend? Random stranger?

***ALSO...this is not a debate about how unschoolers think homeschooling is wrong/homeschool kids are weird/homeschool moms are lazy/etc/etc. I advise any homeschooling moms to ignore any of these comments. I will not have this turn into a full blown debate.

Mrs.Halloween

Asked by Mrs.Halloween at 1:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are still to young for school (both under 2yrs) and my husband (who is a teacher) is on board with the possibility of keeping our kids at home.
    I definitely have some complaints from my my parents (who are also teachers)
    See if you can find the book "Crunchy Cons"
    It has a GREAT chapter in defense of homeschooling. It will give you some other ways to discus the topic with your husband.
    It talks about HOW do you want your child socialized?
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oooo! Thanks momma. I'm gonna request it from my library right now. =D
    Mrs.Halloween

Comment by Mrs.Halloween (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No prob. Message if you want to chat more about it! I am currently doing a lot of research about homeschooling. I have a couple friends that are also thinking about homeschooling, we would make a co-op kind of thing maybe. We have a lot of homeschooling in our province and get government subsidies for homeschooling.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My DS was in public school until the end of 2nd grade. My dh was not in favor of it in the beginning but circumstance and new school rules prompted me to push for it. My mother called the school board on me because she was so against it. That was tough to let go, but I had made up my mind, and we are now in our second year. I despise the socialization argument, my ds plays ball, has a social group and we get together with other home schoolers. If you have any friends who home school, invite them over so your dh can see that the children are just like everyone else. I haven't regretted my decision!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010