Children of divorced parents?

My marriage to DH is going down quickly, and it all started over something that he did to me 2 weeks ago.
We live in Florida, but he's in Kansas for work for the next 10 months and he was talking to another woman then told me that he doesnt miss me and doesnt know if he wants "us" to work out.
Well I started discovering that I CAN make it on my own if I decide to divorce him, then other parts of me start thinking that we can make it work, but then days like today, I dont think it can work b/c he's going back to his old ways b/c it's convenient for him.
I dont want to stay and be unhappy, but I dont want to get a divorce and have my babies be from divorced parents b/c it would break my heart.
I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• It is hard, but in my situation is is definitely for the best. My son knows he has 2 parents who love him. He doesn't have to see me sad and miserable, he doesn't have to see his dad screaming at me and he doesn't have to see us fight everyday. There are parts of it that are hard and does effect my son, but I think staying together would have been way worse for him.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My parents divorced when I was a kid, and to be completely honest, it was actually a relief for me. They were better people and better parents when they were apart. There was no more tension or fighting. It really was healthier for us after they were divorced.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My kids were happier when I divorced their dad. I was thrilled when my parents divorced.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I was so happy and relieved when my parents divorced because of all the fighting they did. It is also the same for my son. He is growing up in a healthy environment now and knows that he is very much loved by not only both his parents but by his step parents as well. I can tell that my son is much happier not to be around the fighting and yelling all the time.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my parents divorced when I was young. Mom and dad never sat with me r my sister to explain what was going on and dad moved his things when my sister and I were in school. We came home to a very empty house. Then the battle began. Mom played the mind games ("your dad did this and that, he's a terrible person"....etc.) , and became a heavy drinker and started smoking. Dad wasnt as bad as mom but he also didnt really talk to us about it. If I heard the cliche "we are having problems but we still love you" I think it would have been easier on us. That's all I needed; the knowledge that I was still loved. I became a cutter, switched schools due to being bullied...it was a terrible childhood during that time. Whatever you decide, dont forget about your children. Don't take your stress out on them no matter how stressed you are.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It's much better for kids to see their parents happy but separate, then to see them miserable and together...I'm going through the same thing, so you have my thoughts. Just remember...YOU CAN DO THIS and you will be stronger for it!!!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 3:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i'm a child of divorced parents. i'm GLAD my parents got divorced. if it weren't for that, i wouldn't know what a healthy relationship looked like and both of my parents would probably not have learned how to be happy. i would rather have happy parents that are apart and whose company i can really enjoy being in then being in the miserable household we were in. my parents separated when i was about 8 and i think the divorce was finalized when i was 10. one thing i have learned in my life is that no matter whom i try to please, parents or children or friends or employers or..., if i am not happy with myself and making decisions based on respect for myself, then i cannot be a good example to my children of how to make the most out of life and i am simply unhappy.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010