So do you think all kids should be awarde a trophy for something, even though only a few actually put an effort into it?

Like for sports. The entire team gets a trophy for playing, even though there might have been a few kids who didn't even make the effort to play. Do you think it's fair for one kid, who does work hard, to be awarded the same prize as the rest of the kids he or she is doing that activity with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If the team won then the whole team gets a trophy. That is the point of a "team". If the trophy is for individual achievement then no.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I agree with urkiddingright. If it was a team sport and the team won, then the whole team should get it. However, if its an individual thing, it shouldnt be shared like that.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Part of the money you paid was so everyone could get trophy. The trophy has nothing to do wih effort, ability or outcome. It's important for you and your kids to understand that life isn't fair.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I had a friend who made a volcano for a science fair. He spent months working on it and it turned out to be the best display at the fair. Right next to him was a kid with a cup of dirt. Got the same award as my friend with the volcano. I thought it was bullshit.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The trophy has nothing to do wih effort, ability or outcome. It's important for you and your kids to understand that life isn't fair.

Well they don't give a trophy to an entire professional baseball team at the end of the season unless they win the world series. They always vote for an MVP. The one that played the hardest. So while it's a team effort, if one is working hard for their team and the rest are just goofing off, why should they be awarded?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't think everyone should get a trophy unless they just won the end of year championship or whatever game it is. To get a trophy just for participating on the team is BS I think. This is why kids are such weinies today. They don't have to do much to get the reward and if they know they'll get something without really trying then why try hard? Those who try hard stop caring when they see those who do nothing still get the same reward. It kills determination.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It is still a team effort even though some do more than others, so the answer to your question is yes.

Answer by older at 1:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• IF they are a part of a team, and the team wins, then yes, the entire team should be honored... You don't see Super Bowl Rings only going to the top players, right? So in cases where they are a PART OF THE WINNING TEAM yes, they should get their own "trophy" or whatever everyone else gets, even if they just handed out water - they were a part of that team...

Now, do I think the team that comes in 5th should get a trophy just because they were there? No. I think this makes for poor losers when they get out in the real world. I mean, you don't get a raise because you've never had a winning argument or project... If you win you win, if you lose you don't win - that's the point of competition... This "everyone wins" idea is just crazy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• There is no I in TEAM. If you are playing on a team and the entire team gets trophies then so be it. If it is such a problem either suggest they also have an MVP or buy your child their own special trophy.

Always remember playing a sport should be FUN.  It is not about the awards.  It is about playing your best.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 2:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• A team trophy does not have to signify WINS. Even if a little league team or soccer team came in 5th place, I still see nothing wrong with an end of season trophy to say THANKS FOR BEING PART OF THE TEAM. My brother played as a child, and each child's trophy pointed out the special contribution each player made to the team. It had nothing to do with how many games they won.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010