What are you doing about the Economic Crisis?

I would really like to hear what you as an individual citizen of the earth are doing to create solutions in your community for our current economic crisis.

1. Are you looking for ways to cut down your monthly expenses?

2. Have you considered installing solar power panels?

3. Have you looked into with drawing your saving and investing your money?

4. Do you read current events and look at possible solutions for your community?

5. Have you considered starting a home based business based on your own personal skills, hobbies or interests?

OR

6. Are you still stuck in the blame game?

7. OR even worst, you have been convinced that there is nothing you can possibly do to make a difference. (He who controls the purse strings controls the money!)

I think that as moms or future moms we are the Global solution providers, and we can implement immense economic reform.

Nohardship

Asked by Nohardship at 1:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 1. I'm always looking for ways to cut monthly expenses, no matter how much money we're bringing in.
    2. We have seriously looked into a solar powerhouse & into wind turbine power units.
    3. We save AND we invest.
    4. I stay informed on current events. I do believe that change needs to start on a small level, so we discuss ways we can help our community first. My family stays involved with Angel Food Ministries & a local community outreach that offers mentoring, housing, job training, community gardens, & emergency help.
    5. I do have a few part time home businesses that are based on my personal interests: cake decorating, making and selling leather necklaces and keychains, & selling garden produce.
    6 & 7. I don't play the blame game. I'm responsible for my own financial decisions. We've gone through some difficult times. We've learned how to be more self sufficient & don't accept that we have no control over our situation.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1. Are you looking for ways to cut down your monthly expenses?~ We always try to live frugally. But we are saving more

2. Have you considered installing solar power panels? ~ Maybe our grow old house, but we would not get a return on our investment currently~ set to move every 2 years.

3. Have you looked into with drawing your saving and investing your money?~ We invest and save

4. Do you read current events and look at possible solutions for your community?~I did moreso when we lived in Ohio. Getting used to the 'new' community, but hope to get involved.

5. Have you considered starting a home based business based on your own personal skills, hobbies or interests? I sold my design biz when we moved here. No plans to start something else up since we will move in 1 year 7 months years.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 5 (cont). I do have a contract with a few architects where I work from home, but I don't want to expand... Enjoying all Alaska has to offer for my family.... So much to see.. So little time..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1. I have always done this.
    2.  No, they are cost prohibitive.  I don't have the money to buy them and install them, as well as the fact that I would also have to pay for my HOA to consider and approve or deny me the permission to do so. 
    3.  No, we are diversified already.
    4.  Sure
    5. I have considered it, but it would likely only employ myself, so technically I wouldn't be adding jobs.
    6.  Which 'blame game' do you speak of?
    7.  I have no idea what you are talking about.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We have always been frugal and good savers/investors. We also have very little personal debt...mortgage/car. I have been working hard growing my businesses and actually creating some jobs. I'm not creating anymore until I know how hard I am going to get slammed with new taxes next year.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Most important is educating ourselves and others about reality: "If you know the truth, you can notice a lie"
    And helping conservative candidates get elected locally and nationally - GO STAR PARKER!

We already live close to the bone financially (always have). Last week my husband learned that he COULD take money out of his retirement without incurring a penalty as long as he left in $5000 per year. So he has just taken out money to pay off one of our cars and to pay off high-interest credit card accounts. We also traded in our other vehicle for a used car. So now we have NO car payments instead of two car payments ($800 per month).

We are focussed on getting as much of our money OUT OF the US dollar as we can. Gold is too expensive, especially when you add in the 10% charged by retail stores, plus gold has the disadvantage of being targetted by gov't for confiscation. So we are looking at silver, and at other "durable goods"
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Keeping my job. My husband has kept his. We continue to live like we always have done - frugally. We don't buy unless we can pay cash (except for car and house).
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Ahh, well then, I guess I don't have a problem with the blame game, but I agree that instead of just complaining that ideas for a solution should be offered.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We are doing just fine, because we have always lived within our means, invested our money wisely--which is providing consistent returns (rental income and stock dividends), and we completed our educations and established high paying careers in our mid-20's, LONG before we married and had children.

We have kept ourselves marketable but keeping our business skills sharp. We have owned and managed our own profitable businesses over the years, and even in this crappy economy and job market, we are both secure in our jobs. However, even if we both lost our jobs tomorrow, we have plenty of options to liquidate any number of our investments and live comfortably until things turned around, and then start rebuilding!

If anything, we are both very resourceful and can live off the land, if need be!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1. Are you looking for ways to cut down your monthly expenses? Nope, we are not having a problem and there are a lot of unfilled positions in Texas.
    2. Have you considered installing solar power panels? Nope, I live in an apartment so, it wouldn't be possible. solar panels are expensive anyways.
    3. Have you looked into with drawing your saving and investing your money? No.
    4. Do you read current events and look at possible solutions for your community? I read current events and our community is fine except the run of the mill criminals and drains on welfare that were there before "the economic crisis."
    5. Have you considered starting a home based business based on your own personal skills, hobbies or interests? Nope, I am good being a housewife and allowing my husband to provide the money for the family.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010