please help my son is sick

my son hasnt been feeling good all day and now he has diarihia so bad that a diaper cant even hold it in he is about 26 months and he has a terrible diaper rash... and he wont eat or drink anything but milk... idk what to do i am so worried and no docs are open and cant really afford to take him to urgent care or the emergancy room!! i was just wonder what i can try to get him to eat or drink other than milk to make him feel better... he throw up already this morning its not pretty!!

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 6:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• If it just started today, then give him a little while to see if he gets better, but watch for signs of dehydration. ~~ Google it and educate yourself so you know what to watch for.
    MILK makes diarrhea worse, so only give him water, or pedialite if he will drink it. Even a few sips every 15 min or so should be enough to keep him hydrated. Try to stay away from sugary drinks, koolaid, 7up, apple juice, but give then to him as a last resort to at least get him to drink.
    Also, Drs will tell you too feed him a BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast)
    I know people get freaked out, but you don't really need to run to the drs for everything. just keep a close eye on him and watch for a fever. Also, try a little straight cornstarch for the diaper rash. It works wonders!
    Remember -- NO MILK!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• You can't afford to NOT take him to emergency. You won't have to pay to get in....they'll send a bill, deal with it later. He may be dehydrating. GET RID OF THE MILK NOW. Force clear fluids. Get him to the ER if it's that bad.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Clear fluids; water, pedialyte, koolaid, something like that. don't give him any food, solid food that is. keep the liquids in him. He may like some or not.Milk is not good for him when he has diarhea, it will make it worse. see if he likes ICE chips.If he isn't running a fever , take it one hour at a time. Children catch everything.If he is running a fever take him to ER
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I agree with the previous post. Please take him to the ER.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Get him to ER. I worked as a Certified Nursing Assistant and having a small child with diarrhea is not a good thing. Small children can quickly dehydrate. A Dr. could IV him and make sure he has fluids. It's difficult to force feed an child this small. And I agree with FireLass, you need clear liquids.

If your son is running a fever, milk will merely curtle in his stomach and cause him to possibly throw up.

Whatever hospital you take him too, most will have a program that can help those who are unisured. Also, Social Services has a program to help those who have to suddenly be in the hospital. And a hospital has to help you regardless of insurance or not, it's the law. They can always arrange a payment plan, and don't let them tell you that you can't do that...cause I've payed a small amount at a time.

LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 6:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• if your son is really that sick then you shouldnt worry abou the money.

I do not want to bash you or anything. but i read it so many times... "i cant afford taking my child to the doctor ect.".. and i feel like an ass saying that now, but why do people have kids, when they know they wont be able to afford even the important things like a doctors visit. now everybody will yell at me, oh well i can deal with it...

anyway.. go to the doctor with your child. he needs medicine and the doctor has to check on him. that doesnt sound like its as easy and normal like a cold. So dont wait any longer. go to the ER, dont wait for your doctor.

Sorry again for being mean, but i just had to get this off my heart. was bothering me for a while already.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I would suggest the take the poor thing to the ER dont let him suffer any more. If you absoulty can not afford that, dont worry about if he is eating, as long as he is drinking to stay hydrated. If you have some popscicles give him some one stay away from red ones. Even if you have a box of jello take one box to a 2 quarts of cold water. It sounds like he has a bug of some type. With his diaper rash give him a luke warm bath and let his butt air dry and apply some diaper rash ointment to it, check his daipers alot to make sure he does not have to have it on im longer than he has to. Force fluids on him, sprite, water ginger ale, or pedialyte. Try not to give him milk, If he is willing to eat give him some dry saltnine crakers or some dry toast. The crackers and toast will help with the diariah also, but florce fluids on him that is the best thind for him right now and love and care from you.
    Lindsey24

Answer by Lindsey24 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Here is an article that will help you out, or even call his Dr's and there is probally a message on the machine that will give you another number to call.http://diarrhea.emedtv.com/diarrhea/toddler-diarrhea.html
    Lindsey24

Answer by Lindsey24 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I understand that you can't afford to take him, I've been there plenty, not sure if all Hospital's have it but some have a Care program that helps families get a discount or the bill is waived.
    my4loves3

Answer by my4loves3 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• When my daughter was about 8 months she wouldn't eat and all she drank was water. She had diarhea too and then it started being bloody. So I took her to the emergency room. They had to admit her overnight because she was dehydrated. They gave her an IV to give her fluids. I suggest you take him to the emergency room now. Please do that. Because if you wait it will get worse. And its very scary to have your child go through all of that.
    Flaca43

Answer by Flaca43 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2008