Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a child eligible for SSI who was diagnosed with wha they called behavior problems but I as his mom know for a fact tha he has ADHD and have had before he turned 2 years old,he is on medication for his hyperactivity and he's seeing a therapist once a week ? adult content

Answer Question

Asked by mommys1luv at 1:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 7 (162 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • it is very very hard for a child to get ssi. ADHD is not a reason for ssi even if a chid has that diagnosis from 10 mds. Even bipolar disorder isn't a quallifying diagnosis and it is much worse than ADHD. You can always apply.


    Answer by Gailll at 1:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • You can apply and as long as the therapy and medication is not covered by your insurace or the child has been diagnosed as severe enough to need an IEP in the school (in that case the school would get most if not all of the funding). You may not get approved if the judge that takes the case does not feel that there is a need. SSI is provided for those that require extra money to pay for special therapy, medication, diets, medical equipment, special needs schools and so on for families that do not have insurance coverage or income to afford care for thier disabled child.

    Answer by ivy102381 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • here is a list from the ssi web site about the conditions that might get ssi

    Following are some conditions that may qualify:

    • HIV infection;

    • Total blindness;

    • Total deafness;

    • Cerebral palsy;

    • Down syndrome;

    • Muscular dystrophy;

    • Severe mental retardation (child age 7 or older); and

    • Birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces.


    Answer by Gailll at 1:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • ADHD is not considered a disability. You can try to apply but I wouldn't count on it....

    Answer by skittles1108 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • For a child to recieve SSI, the child must qualify based on disability & the family must qualify based on income. If either is not qualifiable, then the child won't recieve funding. Typically, an uncomplicated diagnosis of ADHD won't qualify, even if the child is on meds, getting therapy & has an IEP, because the child does not require significant help with major life activities. However, it can't hurt to try; you never know, you might get a sympathetic worker who approves your application.

    ivy102381, anybody can qualify for SSI as long as they are considered disabled & their income is low enough, regardless of whether or not they already have insurance coverage. Also, a child who has an IEP gets ALL of their SSI funding; the school doesn't get any of a child's SSI money - ever.


    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • skittles1108, ADHD is considered a disability by social security rules, however, in addition to the standard diagnostic criteria, the individial must have at least two medically verifiable marked impairments in the following: age-appropriate cognitive/ communicative function, social functioning, and/or personal functioning, and/or marked difficulties in maintaining concentration, persistence, or pace

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • SSI will not give someone money if thier insurance plan covers all of the care the child is recieving. I have a friend who was unable to recieve SSI for her child because she has insurance that covers 100% of her sons care. He is severly autistic and requires a nurses aid in school and even required in-home therapy 3 times a week. Her income is low enough for her to get WIC for her youngest child, so I do not see how this pushes her over the income bracket required.
    My son has an IEP(not for ADHD) and the school recieves money from somewhere to keep it active even if I don't feel he needs it. What I meant is that the school will get funding instead of you if the child has an IEP for ADHD. Not that the funding comes from SSI. I reread it and realize that I worded it wrong. Sorry.

    Answer by ivy102381 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • I would like to know, who would diagnose a 2 year old with adha?? What happend to kids being kids, they are hyper and silly and full of energy at that age. I dont know your son, but that seems a bit young for any sort of label.

    Answer by minimo77 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • I meant, ADHD

    Answer by minimo77 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

  • ivy102381...

    WIC income guidelines are much higher than those for SSI, plus SSI takes into consideration all of the family's assets (cars, rv, stocks, bonds, savings, cemetary plot, life insurance, 401k, etc.), so even if the family qualifies based on gross income, having too many other assets can still disqualify them.

    As for the IEP, school districts do get extra federal funding for special education students, but the extra funding isn't what keeps the IEP active. Your child's needs are what keeps it active.

    Also, if the child has MA, then the school district can bill the state for related medical services & supports that the child may recieve through the district, but it comes from a special MA fund for schools & has nothing to do with your child's benefits. A child who recieves SSI will still get it whether or not the school bills MA for services. They are completely separate funding sources.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.