Stress Test

This is my 3rd pregnancy but the 1st time I've done stress test. I'm 34 wks prego as of 9/17. The Doc wants me to get a stress test done every wk. because my lil man is small and underweight for as far as I am (last wk at 33 wks he was 2 wks behind on length and only 4 LBS). He knows my other two were only 6 LBS 7 OZ and 5LBS 10 OZ when they were born. He knows one was 2 wks early and the other was 3 wks early. Fluid around him is good and he moves around a lot. His hand movements are good. He is positioned where he should be. I got my 1st stress test on 9/17 and it went well. Maybe he also wants me to do them also because I'm high risk for him having down syndrome. I've been doing a lot of ultrasounds too.
What do you think? Is it neccessary to get one every wk? I have insurance, that isn't a problem.

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 1:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am pregnant with my 3rd and I am high risk pregnancy because of my age and the fact that I have big babies and very high volume of amniotic fluid and due to high fluid come contractions. I also take Procardia to control the contractions. I started going for NST's (stress test) and also BPP's (ultrasounds for measurements) at 32 weeks and now I am also 34 weeks and will have to go until I deliver. Yes, I do think you need to go at the very least once a week. My doctor has me going twice a week because everyday matters and things do can change from day to day.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• First let me say congratulations even though this is probably old hat for you. But my answer is "YES", absolutely you should continue the stress test weekly. Do anything to help insure you have a healthy baby. They can do wonders in the womb if there is a problem. Good luck and be blessed!
    binky4me

Answer by binky4me at 2:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would do it anyways, Especially if cost isn't an issue. You know what 'they' say its batter to be safe than sorry! GL, congrats on baby number 3!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i don't know about necessary, but if the doctor wants them done and insurance covers it I don't see a problem with it. Gives the doctor and you peace of mind.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I got them 2x a week from 32 weeks on. I was diabetic and had polyhydramnios. Thats why i had to do it. My insurance fully covered it. I had 2 stress tests and a limited ultrasound to check my water levels every week. As well as my regular OB appointment.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I had twins that weighed 6lb and the other weighed 6lbs 7oz, I was 38 years old and only had one other pregnancy. The dr. had me do weekly stress tests and some times bi-weekly stress tests starting at 5 months of pregnancy. On the last 6 weeks I went every other day and my twins were born just fine.

I did not find anything harmful to do the stress test so often, but there may be more research on the topic now. You might want to research it a bit online, then decide if you are comfortable with the procedure.
    Nohardship

Answer by Nohardship at 2:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• your baby can be small for gestational age if your pregnancies are closer togrther than 3 years, It take that long to recover so you have a good womb environment. If you pregnancies have been close, your other babies wrer early, and you are sure your baby is small for getational age then you should do everything you can to give your baby the best chance. this is now a high risk pregnancy and you may need to find s new doctor and a hospital with a good nicu. I had a pregnancy that turned high risk and i changed doctors and hospitals days before i had to be hospitalized for the rest of my pregnancy.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Gailll, what is wrong with you today? I have never seen you make so many typos :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'm 37. My two boys are 6 and 14. I don't have a problem doing them. I know they are not harmful. I was just curious on what everyone thought. I hope insurance pays for most of it. I think it will :^) TKS everyone!
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2010