We have 3 boxers and a baby on the way..........

How many mom's have multiple dogs and how did it work out when you had a baby? I'm nervous that it's going to be hell for me because these dogs are very energetic and either the male will bark and wake the baby up or I'm going to be so exhausted with the baby that it's going to suck taking the dogs out all the time. Not to mention that I'll have to keep them in a room separate so what will the dogs quality of life end up being like? I wont risk our little one being hurt either but my fiance LOVES these dogs (I do to). Maybe I'm just over worried...I don't know. I have a 7yr old son and our dogs are awesome with him. Let me know what you ladies think.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I only have one, small dog. a carin terrier. but... their pedi told me that out of instinct...while theyre very small the dogs instinct is to protect them as they are the baby in the pac, but when theyre a little older like, toddler ish age, they will try and "disicipline" them liek they would with any puppy in their pac. the way they disiciplin them is to bite (not super hard_) the puppies muzzel. soooo he told us to be really really careful with the dog around the baby but.. i mean, i'm sure you know that. just wanted to shaare :P
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thank you Elsa! I think I'm just getting myself all worked up (prenancy emotions..lol) and that it'll work out. I just know that 3 dogs are a lot of work and so is a newborn so I'm stressed.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my 24 mo grandson has a lab mix that has always been great around him. i take care of my grandson several days a week and his dog comes along. I have a new 55 pound mutt and a 3 pound Chihusua. every one is way excited at first and then calms down. we have taught my grandson to push the dogs away and say stop if they are trying to lick him too much or get his food. they are good dogs and usually do it. I've had foster dogs and it's always worked out. we have a doggie door and a big fenced yard. all of the dogs are low energy. I think it could work out fine, Your so should be the one responsible for the dogs. You won't have yo keep them in a separate room.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my boyfriends dog knew I was pregnant before I did and he would never leave me alone, he was very protective, and when our daughter was born he was always sleeping in the room she was and would be kind of guard for her lol. Now she is 1 and crawling everywhere but we keep them away from each other, not on purpose, but they co-exist well.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i don't believe that about big dogs and biting babies like they were a puppy. dogs will protect their human baby or toddler from strangers if they are the  kind of people the dog doesn't like. my grandson's dog doesn't like homeless prople. Take your dogs to the dog park and get them very people and dog socialized if they aren't already.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I had 3 large dogs when my daughter was born. Initially, I took them out to the yard to do their business, walked them around with leashes (my yard was not fenced). We got a few pieces of fence (the freestanding panels of chain link) and put them around our basement bulkhead, I was on bed rest so couldn't walk around much. It has worked out well, my dogs are all older (5, 10 and 15 years old). The youngest is my problem child, she is a rottie mix and the most hyper thing I have ever seen - totally NOT a rottie trait. But the only issue I have with them really is when my daughter (now 2) offers them food. I want her to eat and she likes to feed them, and then is hungry later. Honestly I would keep an eye on things - always supervise. Once you see them together you'll know. I take the dogs upstairs with us for naptime (I have a 9 month old now too) they are very quiet unless someone knocks, which doesn't happen often. good luck!
    savimom628

Answer by savimom628 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2010