How long can I leave milk in a sippy cup out of the frig before it goes bad?

Sarahbellum03

Asked by Sarahbellum03 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think it depends on how much is in the cup and how cold your fridge is... I have yet to figure out exactly how long it will last but i just smell it before i give it to them.
    im sure youve smelled sour milk before... when its bad, theres no mistake haha
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• True! Well, I would say about 8 ounces of whole milk in a sippy cup... and I leave it out of the frig for about 8 hours. I'm currently trying to get my 1 year old to take milk from a sippy cup, but she only likes the milk if it's room temp. Do you think 8 hours is too long to leave milk out of the frig (but in a covered cup)? I will do the smell test.
    Sarahbellum03

Comment by Sarahbellum03 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would never drink milk that has been out for 8 hours. I think you may want to do the smell test and the taste test also. you take a cup of milk pour it and cover it and 8 hours later you drink it tell me how it taste.

I am not trying by any means to come off like a bitch i know everyone parents differently. But 8 hour old warm milk that is just plain gross. I don't give my child anything that I wouldn't want or try to eat or drink. i am not a picky eater at all.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Can I ask you, raemommy, then how would you get a 1 year old to drink milk from a sippy cup when she prefers lukewarm/warmed milk? I do understand your posted answer, but I don't know what else to do.
    Sarahbellum03

Comment by Sarahbellum03 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would put it in the microwave for a few seconds and get it warm and then give it to them. That is the way you get to room temp milk w/o it sitting out for so long that it starts to go bad.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thank you all for your opinions... it all helps!

However, can anyone give me a scientific answer about the length of time milk would go bad in a sippy cup? I appreciate other mom's opinions, but I just want to know the facts.

Thanks!
    Sarahbellum03

Comment by Sarahbellum03 (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 2 hours is the longest i would go thats what i did with fromula and now with milk......your child needs to get used to drinking it cold though cuz once i take the milk out the fridge and i touch it a few hours later if its not cold i throw it out.....8 hours is way to long milk spoils when left out so she needs to drink it if not put it in the fridge your child needs to learn to drink it cold
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 5:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 2-3 hours maybe. I would let it a little longer when it was cold in the house. But now he drinks it super fast.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 4 hours is what the USDA says anything after that and your at risk for bacterial growth.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 7:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 8 hours is way too long!!!!!!!! No more than 2 hours. NO food should be consumed after being left out for 2 hours or more.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010