Do you understand football?

Is kids football the same as college football?
I have no idea in the game but yet I hear a lot of fans get all into the game. I thought maybe if I understand it Iwouldbe a fan too. Today I had to take my son to a football came and no matter how much I tried to get it I didn't (my dh usually is with us when he has games) and pretty much explains to me but it doesn't stick :/

Can any of you ladies who do get it give the basics...lol

The whole time I was there I was afraid someone would ask me what is the score or anything that had to do with the game I would have felt like an ass. Thanks Ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• wellI dont know tooo much but the more you watch the easier it gets. im really bad at explaining stuff, and i dont know that much anyway so I'll let someone else do the explaining lol
    but you could try googling stuff if no one can explain it on here
    but, there is hope, you'll get it. besides, football is the most fun sport to watch lol
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well, you've got two teams - offense and defense. The offense is trying to get past the defense and score. The defense is trying to prevent that. The offense has 4 changes to move ten yards. If they fail to do that, possession of the ball changes via a punt. (is that how kids do it? I don't know)
    That's really the basics. What else do you want to know?
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I call myself understanding, but then I ask a dumb question, and all the guys look at me strange. What do you expect from someone who wanted to see the movie "Losing Nemo"!!!!!!
    binky4me

Answer by binky4me at 2:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The rules are different at the different levels, but the concept is pretty much the same. The team with the ball has 4 tries to make a total of 10 yards. They can pass the football or they can run it. If they don't get 10 yards in 4 tries, they have to give the ball to the other team. This is usually done by punting the football(it's a kick back the other way). A touchdown is 6 points, with a kick for 1 extra point or a run-in or pass for 2 extra points. A field goal is 3 points. And there you have the basics of Football 101!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• All I know is..

You can't use your hands. You can only use your feet, head and I think other parts of the body .. When in contact with the ball. And they try to kick or butt the ball into the opposing teams goal. I'm not sure about all the "rules" as far as fouls, contact etc.. I know you can't blatently kick another player, or hold on them/ pull them by their clothes or body parts, holding the ball isn't okay, and deliberately touching the ball when someone else has control isn't okay... But that's really all I know about football right off the top of my head.
    I've never been a big football watcher.. My son is the football fan ..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball
    here ya go. So the next time you go to a game you just have to figure out the special rules your particular league has. (I'm sure there are limits on tackles and whatnot to prevent injuries)

Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• nope, I just know they wear tight pants and I like that but in men, not boys!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• no and i married a guy who was coaching football, baseball and basketball - in those days, in highschool, coaches were allowed to coach 3 major sports - i never missed a game that he coached - and he coached for 35 years - both of our sons played baseball and basketball all through h.d. -i never missed a game, but i never saw one either - never did get the hang of it all - i used to talk my way through games (socialize) - when either of our sons did something outstanding (they were both standout players), somebody would say, kay, gary ( or chris) just made a 3-point play (basketball) - i'd ask what quarter it was - then when we'd get home, i would say to whichever son, "gary, that was a fantastic 3-pointer you had at the end of the second quarter"!! he would turn around and say ,
    who told you, mom"? then we would both burst out laughing -
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• LOL to kay

I never got football until hubby sat me me down and explained it. For basics NannyB did great. Just remember when your team has the ball that is offense and when the other team has the ball it's defense.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, I don't understand it but I go just to support my son
    msbrewton

Answer by msbrewton at 9:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010