Question for moms who do NOT co-sleep.

I have 5 week old twins, i want them to sleep in their crib. when i first brought them home they slept in the crib, but when it was time to feed them i'd bring them in bed with me and then we'd end up falling asleep and they'd sleep until morning/next feeding..well i have begun just letting them in my bed and now with the one twin he will not sleep in his crib without a fight, my other twin will go down in it with less problem..they are only 5 weeks old, so obvously no CIO,and i know that they need me right now for so much comfort which is why i have let them in my bed rather than fight them to be in their crib.so my ? is i want them in their now beforeit becomes a habit to be in my bed at night..how would i do this without haviing the screaming..and i meanas soon as he's put in the crib he screams and once i pick him up he's fine.

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 2:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 1 year old twins and the habit youre saying you dont want to get in.........we're in lol
    my suggestion is getting up and feeding them in a rocker that way its harder to fall asleep there and if you do you'll wake up when you get uncomfortable, and have to put him in his crib so yo ucan go back to bed.
    the earlier you start making sleep in their own crib, the easier it will be, trust me.
    keep up with fighting them in their cribs.
    try putting him in his crib when hes stil a little awake and sittingthere until he is asleep and each night put him in sooner and move the chair farther away. this worked with one of my twins for a while (until we got back in the bad habits) he was about three mnths when i tried
    but yeah the worst part is getting up and night to feed them and falling asleep in your bed. thats how we got in the habit we're in
    and trust me you dont want two one year olds sleeping in your bed.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• try maybe putting him to sleep before you lay him down, staying very close til he falls back asleep

With my daughter, I wanted her to sleep with me, and she did the first couple weeks, but after that she started pushing us away (she gets hot easy and our combined body heat bothered her) and she wanted her own space and she wouldn't sleep with us anymore so we had to let her sleep in her crib ='( I still wish she would cuddle with me sometimes. She just turned 1.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't know. I have 5 kids and have never had that problem. They all fell asleep on their own and never had a problem sleeping in their own beds.
    But I didn't hold them all day either. If they were sleeping they were on the floor or in their bed. If they were awake they were on the floor on their blanket or in a swing or something. I held them while they were eating and to play a little, but not all the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have that issue too with my 4 month old. I put him to bed in his crib, but when he wakes for his 4 am feeding I end up letting him stay. I have to just discipline myself to get up and put him back when he falls back asleep. The times I do it, he stays asleep in his bed. I just have to make it a nightly habit.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Try your hardest to stay awake when you're doing a feeding and then put them to bed as soon as the feeding is done. Chances are they'll be asleep or drowsy and won't even notice. You'll want to get them in the habit of sleeping in their own bed now because it will be harder the older they get.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• have you tried swaddling them before you put them in there crib? My 2 moth old sleeps better if she is swaddled.

martat

Answer by martat at 3:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Put them to sleep and them move them to thier crib. I did that with my son for the first week and then after that i put him in his bassinet awake but drowsy and he put himself to sleep. Hes 14 months old and has never had a problem going to sleep after that first week :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I nursed my twins on a sofa in the nursery because I was afraid I'd accidentally sufficate them in my bed. If you aren't swaddling, try doing that. I also laid one of mine on a boppy sometimes because the pillow snuggled him and helped him sleep.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We had my daughter sleep in the papasan chair next to our bed, on the floor. She loved it and slept great in it. I think we did that till she was 3 months old, then we switched to the crib. She was sleeping through the night by then, so she would fall asleep on my lap after I breastfed and then I would just carry her to the crib and put her in. I never woke her up in the night to feed. I would just get up and pump once.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Put him in his crib as he doses off and stay close to the crib and softly talk to him.
    candcsmom2008

Answer by candcsmom2008 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010