stepdaughter and school

wondering if anyone has ever called sd (or ss) school to ask how they are doing in school? I feel like some unpaid nanny and that it's only when they(other mom) need time away from her kids ...in other words she never thinks to tell me simple things like "sd got an a on.." or even had a sport thing to go to..so I think I need to try to get contact with a teacher..maybe by email...just to make sure all is ok this year "FYI sd failed a grade in past"..I do it, but i dont know if she put my dd on the other siblings form at school...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Under FERPA you are not able to gain any information from the school, if they do give you any information, they are breaking the law. If dad has joint custody (or joint legal custody) he can call the school and get the info... if he wants. Have you tried asking how SD is doing in school?
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have 2 friends with step children. One is in contact with the teacher frequently, but that is b/c her kindergartner got into all kinds of trouble last year. The other has the SD living with them and this mom is all she knows when it comes to being involved in school. You have to do what you have to do in order to stay involved.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Why isn't your DH keeping informed on how his kids are doing in school?
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• you have no legal rights and the teachers shouldn't give you info.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• As Gailll correctly stated that you have no legal rights, however your husband DOES!!!! Your husband can contact the school. It MIGHT be possible for him to tell the school that you need the info on HIS behave and they MIGHT give it to you then, but I'm doubtful. Your husband needs to call the school and get involved!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thank you for the answers...sd finally agreed to visit and I did get Who her teacher is, atleast, out of her...To explain talking to "the other mother" is like talking to a teenager most times..I guess I have a bigger heart than my hubby cuz he doesnt like to get involved with school things either, but I luv going to teacher meetings. It doesnt help that I have a nervous condition that put me in hospital at 32 saying I had a small stroke....still learning to calm down so it cant happen again.
    carisa

Answer by carisa at 12:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010