How do I go about telling my 11 year old son I am getting married to a woman? adult content

lonelynmissinu

Asked by lonelynmissinu at 2:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Why should it differ from telling him you are marrying a man? Does he not know you're in a relationship?

Seriously, at 11, I'm sure he's figured it out, just be honest and tell him you're getting married... I wouldn't let it be a bigger deal than any other happy announcement.

Congrats!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• does he know youre gay/bi? I mean it would be harder to tell him if he didnt already know but, be honest with him. hes 11 so try and talk to him, i mean not 100% like an adult but make him feel like youre trusting him with the news and stuff... I'm sure there are counslers you could talk to who might be able to help yo ufigure out the best way. I mean I've always wondered how I would explain to my boys where there "dad" is and I've always considered finding a counsler to help me explain it because I want to do it the right way and so they understand.

i guess it just depends how much he already knows about the situation..

congrats though!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes he knows I am in a relationship with a woman. Thanks for your advice and congrats offered.
    lonelynmissinu

Comment by lonelynmissinu (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• well,it would all depend on whether you are a woman or a man - if you were a man, you would go about it one way - but, if you were a woman, you would have to handle it a whole other way - good luck on whichever you are!! kids are very resililent - so i don't think you have much to worry about in either case - contratualations to you!!!!
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• First, does he live with you? If so, then your SO is probably already a big part of his life. I would just explain that you are in love and that you are getting married. And then be prepared to answer any questions he might have. My dh's mother never had a formal talk with him, he found out when he walked in on his mom kissing another woman around your ds's age. I recommend being open about it, and always let him know to come to you with questions. GL and congrats :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think yoou just need to tell him straight. It's a difficult issue to have kids try to understand but that understanding will grow with time. If he already knows about your relationship and accepts it, just roll with it and be happy. Just obviously help him prepare to for any crap he might get from bratty school kids that will never understand.
    Congrats ;)
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 2:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Just be honest with him. If he knows you are in a relationship with a woman it shouldn't be a big deal. Answer whatever questions he has but be honest.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 2:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• just tell your son straight out .
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If it was normal for a woman to marry a woman than this wouldn't be an issue. Good luck trying to explain this one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• well i'm assuming he knows the person...?? just tell him like you would if it were a man... XYZ and i are in love and we want to spend the rest of our lives together, we've decided to get married. of course you might want to help him by letting him ask questions and helping him to find good responses to the crap he is going to have to put up with from other kids. but you don't need to act like there is something wrong with what you're doing or that you need to explain your desire to get married in such a way that he feels that YOU think it is unacceptable, kwim?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010