Anyone have any suggestions for potty training difficulties

We have been going through a power struggle with our now 5 year old daughter. She has a mild speech delay which also delayed her potty training as she was not talking at average potty training age. Shes improved a lot with her speech and has now it appears mastered peeing in the potty. Rewards and transferring all responsibility of going potty onto her seemed to work the best for getting her to go pee in the potty. But she just wont poop in the potty, I don't know if I am pushing the issue to soon after her mastering going pee. I don't want to negatively affect her progress with going pee as that was a big step for her. I am afraid if I try to force her to poop on the potty she might stop going on it all together. I have tried increasing the rewards to two stickers for pooping or two pieces of candy, but its not working shes been holding it for a day and a half now. Her normal BM schedule is at least once a day.

Alyia72

Asked by Alyia72 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have her checked by a doctor just to make sure there isn't anything wrong first. There is nothing worse than trying to push a child when they can't do anything about it. I do know that doctors usually give the child until the age of 8 before they really start worrying but I am not sure if that is just with peeing or pooping as well. I wish you all the luck in the world!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We have done that, and she said everything was fine she would go when shes ready. She has totally normal BM's if we allow her the diaper or pull up even just once a day at a scheduled time just for pooping. I have no doubt its not that she cant but more that she wont...I tried pressing the issue today and she regressed and had two accidents peeing on the floor so bad idea lol. My mother in law suggested to not to give her the diapers at all and feed her high fiber foods eventually she wont be able to hold it. I am just worried her stubborn ways are going to cause her pain or damage her bowels.
    Alyia72

Comment by Alyia72 (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Sep. 19, 2010