How do I keep my sexuality from becoming an issue at my job? adult content

lonelynmissinu

Asked by lonelynmissinu at 2:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I guess it depends on what you do. Personally, I don't know why or how it would matter... But if you're a teacher for a Catholic School... I'm thinking if you're Gay it's gonna come up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Comments have been made at my job about being gay and I seem to be the brunt of their jokes at times.
    lonelynmissinu

Comment by lonelynmissinu (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Don't talk about it.
    If there is an issue, take it to HR.
    If that doesn't resolve it, contact an attorney. It's called sexual harassment, and it's illegal.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• "Comments have been made at my job about being gay and I seem to be the brunt of their jokes at times."

Then you need to speak to your HR department or your boss... If that does nothing you need to contact an attorney. Your sexuality, perceived or factual, is NOT permitted to be addressed by employers or co-workers UNLESS it conflicts with a contractual or legal clause.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You are who you are and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are gay do not discuss it with anybody, this has nothing to do with how you do your job. If you have any problems contact your HR dept. If you are a teacher I do not know.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Just keep it as professional as possible, if anyone questions you... you do not have to answer. However, you can make it clear that asking about your sexuality/personal life is inappropriate.

I agree that if people don't get the point, file a sexual harassment claim.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• wow, that would so not fly at my job. Is this a small office? Do you have an hr dept? go to them. That is way out of line.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 3:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Don't make an issue of it and it won't be an issue, be the grownup and ignore the jerks.
    n2thaxcape

Answer by n2thaxcape at 3:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 3:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Don't talk about your personal life at work. And report any comments to HR. That qualifies as harassment.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010