If you lost your job today, had nothing saved and only had $900, what would you spend it on?

Spin off of last question "What are you doing about the Economic Crisis?"

1. What would you spend your last pay check on?

2. Would you expect the government to support you through Unemployment Insurance, food stamps, or state assistance?

3. What services would you disconnect in order to save money?

4. How would you pay for you home/rent and car payment?

5. Would you go out and celebrate and blow your last pay check?
6. Would you seek to find a home based business or create one?

7. Would you move in with family?

8. What would you recommend to others that may be in this situation?

Please write how you would spend your last pay check.

Nohardship

Asked by Nohardship at 2:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would scrimp and just barley get by until I can locate any kind of job. I would draw unemployment b/c that is what it is there for. I would take any job b/c no job is below when it comes to supporting my family. Altough I don't think that I will ever have to worry about this b/c my family (not me personally) is set for life and we would have the assistance if we needed it, if it came to that and all other avenues have been exhausted.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You can put everyone but your landlord off a month. If I was current on all my bill, I would pay my rent and get my ass out looking for a stop gap and spend as little as possible. And yes, I would apply for FS (except that I wouldnt' qualify in my state because you can't be totally unemployed here and get any PA. If you are you go work for the state jobs program making phone calls to confirm appointments and such as.)
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1. rent first off then electric so id have heat/ac
    2. i wouldn' t"expect" it in the sense that i'm entitled but if the services are there and i needed them and was able to get them, i would take it so i could still feed my boys
    3. cable, internet, taking the bus can be cheaper than buying gas (but theres always a car payment you cant really get out of)
    4. unemployment, tanf, find any parttime job, odd jobs, try selling crafts etc
    5. who would celebrate loosing their job??
    6. if i had the business in mind, the money to start it, and the knowledge to run it, yesss
    7. if i absolultly had to, of course but i would rather try to not have to
    8. keep your head up and stay strong. so many people are going through this. there are resources out there. keep working hard, it will pay off in the end.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• That last check would be spent the same as any other check- MONTHLY BILLS/GROCERY ITEMS. I'd then hope unemployment was approved, and I would be paying monthly bills/grocery needs with that income until I found another job.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i've never had a car payment.
    I would sell almost everything and buy a travel trailer.

when i was homeless, didn't hane a car, and lost my medicaid coverage i moved across the country from indiana (a state wit bad medicaid) to arizona (a state where i got medicaid in 2 days because i am disabled abd get ssi). I spent my most of my money on an airline ticket and stayed with an old friend at first. I don't get food stamps.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would file for unemployment and save that last paycheck for bills. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind blow it? I would cut my internet and cable, they aren't needed. Thats really the only extras I have to eliminate. I would keep my cell because it's the only phone I have and I'd get my ass out looking for a job! If it came down to it and I was totally broke I could withdraw my 401k but I would take a huge tax hit. but if I had to survive I would have to do that.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 2:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1. What would you spend your last pay check on? Food/housing

2. Would you expect the government to support you through Unemployment Insurance, food stamps, or state assistance? Only if I could not find another job or get help from family and church.

3. What services would you disconnect in order to save money? Everything but electric, water, and heat.

4. How would you pay for you home/rent and car payment? house- ask family for help or foreclose, car-our cars are already paid for, but I would sell them if I needed to.

5. Would you go out and celebrate and blow your last pay check? No, that's not something to celebrate.
    6. Would you seek to find a home based business or create one? Maybe

7. Would you move in with family? Maybe

8. What would you recommend to others that may be in this situation? Start praying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1. What would you spend your last pay check on?

3. What services would you disconnect in order to save money? cable/internet

4. How would you pay for you home/rent and car payment?home

5. Would you go out and celebrate and blow your last pay check?hell no
    6. Would you seek to find a home based business or create one?maybe

7. Would you move in with family?
    yes if i could
    8. What would you recommend to others that may be in this situation? i have no idea it just depends on who it was family,friends, or other

Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• The last check would go to pay the bills. I'd also file for unemployment and start looking for a job.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 1. your last pay check? I'd try not to. But if push came to shove, it would be rent, utilities, and a little bit of food. We've got a lot of food storage that could get us several months. It wouldn't be pleasant, but it would be do able.

2. government to support? I wouldn't mind the extra help, but I'm pretty sure we could do without.

3. Services? Internet, maybe phone.

4. How would you pay? No car payment. Rent is cheap and we already pay a month ahead. We'd be looking for another job asap though.

5. blow your last pay check? Hell no!
    6. home based business or create one? Probably not my first option, but maybe if I couldn't find a job right away.

7. Would you move in with family? Not right away.

8. What would you recommend to others that may be in this situation? Plan for it. Most people have job loss eventually. It's a whole different story if you've saved up some cash for it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010