Ack! My 1 year old just chipped his two front teeth!

My baby just fell and chipped his two front teeth. 1/2 of one and 1/4 of the other. I call the pediatrician and they said there is nothing they can do and to call a pediatric dentist. No pediatric dentists are open on the weekend so I have to wait until Monday. Anyone been through this? How was it treated?

Syphon

Asked by Syphon at 2:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest daughter chipped her tooth pushing a swing so hard it went back and smacked her front teeth. :( We took her to the dentist and they did an x-ray and found that everything was okay. Your baby will be okay until Monday but I would reccomend giving some pain reliever in case it hurts (I've heard chipped teeth hurt pretty bad because it exposes the nerves).

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My oldest did that when he was 3. They didn't do anything. A few weeks later, one of his front teeth actually broke. Still nothing. They said that it would just even itself out. The other tooth remained cracked until he lost it naturally. Don't stress!
    luv2bamom1124

Answer by luv2bamom1124 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my son chipped his front tooth while at a playdate. I think he tripped over something, fell on his face and I remember him running up to me crying but he didnt point to his mouth (I didnt notice any bleeding either). I didnt notice the chip it till that evening. His tooth is fine. No decay, it's just chipped. I'm not worried about it since it's been a while and it's still fine. If you are really worried, call the dentist on monday. Doesnt hurt to have it checked out! ! If you dont see any bleeding or the gums arent swollen i'm sure it's just fine
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My Gr-DD broke hers, nothing could be done, he'll loose it anyway. It's just upsetting to see it happen that way. Be glad it's a baby tooth, I brokea permanent tooth as a child, I was not a happy little girl.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Just updating...took him to the dentist today and they advised me to cap the teeth so I did. They said that he was at risk for infection if I left them chipped and that he might be in pain when he eats. It was a pretty horrible experience holding him down while they did the procedure. Glad it's over. Rough day.
    Syphon

Comment by Syphon (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010