How young is to young?

In my area a new program started this month, children as young as 6 weeks can attend an "Early Head start" program.

IMO at the very earliest a child should start school is 2... and that's pushing it.

What are your thoughts? How young is to young

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think 4-5 is good enough will be so tired of school by the time they get to highschool !

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My son was four years old when he started school and that was only preschool.

Answer by elly25 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My mom works for a head start program that starts at 6 weeks. Its a migrant program so low income families get low or free care. Some don't have a choice to stay home.

Answer by LizaJayne at 3:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• that is a VERY young age!!! But like LizaJane said, some just don't have any other option. It's good that the program is there for people who really need it.

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think 4 is young enough

Answer by karla85 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think they should at least be able to understand the concept of school before they go to one. Most kids don't attend pre-school until age 3 or 4, so that's when I'd say head start should start, too.

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• 6 week old children are most likely there so parents can WORK. It's more a daycare situation for some.

Answer by KairisMama at 4:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If its a leanring daycare, I could see that..

Generally, to start school I think no younger than 4.

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think it starts at 6 weeks as more of a day care situation. However, I have been home schooling my DD since she was about 2.

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Our church doesn't allow them in the Mother's Morning Out program that young, but they do start them for that 1 day a week program at around 9 mos. BUT honestly, and this is what most women forget, the mom's need that 2 hrs alone!

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010