what age did ur kids have cell phone?

10 years when mine got theirs....

Cynt1020

Asked by Cynt1020 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• We bought him his first when he was 12.. The time he started travelling back and forth to school by himself.. Leaving home and walking to the store., the mall, and riding Public transit by himself.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• They don't have one and won't have one until they get a job and buy it their self

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My kids are 10, 9, 8 and 4 and none of them have phones and won't until they can afford to pay for it themselves.
    We might get one for at home since we also don't have a land line (just me and dh's cells) but it would only be used if they are home alone or going somewhere without us. No texting or internet and it would be turned off and put up when not in use.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• my 10 and 11 yr old share a phone. It is used to call friends and I can check on them when needed. I got the phone for when they'd go visit their father. Long story short, he would not allow them to call and when he found out - he took the phone away. They no longer, see thier father, but the phone stayed. That's the only reason, we got it to start with. Next year, they'll be playing sports in school. I'm considering getting each of them a phone to have to say... Practice was canceled or for calling when they come in from out of town games, ect.. I do rendomly pick up the phone and check text messages and who's phone numbers are in their phone.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• we don't have a home line so that is why we did....
    Cynt1020

Comment by Cynt1020 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My little one is only two, but she can have a cell phone when she is much older. I will only buy a prepaid-I'm not paying for text messaging, internet access, games, and all that other unnecessary jazz. I believe in the simplistic life.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I agree w/luvmygrlz. We don't have a land line either! Right now we have just 2 cell phones one for hubby and one for myself. if we get a babysitter (My mom) has her own phone so we don't worry about it. If my mom left her phone @ home then I leave her my phone. If it's one of those rare occasions that it's someone other then my mom and they don't have a cell phone then we leave them my phone.

When the kids are old enough to be left home alone then we will most likely get a 3rd phone. However this phone will NOT belong to my children. It will stay AT THE HOUSE and can be only used to call my phone, husbands phone, or 911. It would only be used for those moments that the kids are HOME ALONE.

If they want a phone for any other reason then they need to buy one. They do call their friends on my phone when needed now. They don't need their own phone. If they are with their friends then I call their friend's mom on her phone.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My boys were 8 & 10. YThey have always been very responsible. I was working at the time and I needed to know they were okay and it was easier to get a hold of them. They are now 16 & 18 and have never ever abused it. I have the exact opposite problem they really could care less about using them unless its absolutely necessary. I really don't use mine either, just for quick calls and a few texts a month.

Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010