Would you buy a used Medela Pump In Style breastpump from someone you didn't know?

I have 2 questions:
1. Would you purchase a used Medela Pump In Style breastpump from someone you didn't know (meaning not a friend or family member) & use it as long as you bought the replacement parts that touch the breast & milk?
2. If so & it came with bottles & breast sheilds would you boil them & use them or throw them away & buy new ones?
NOTE: The Medela Pump In Style costs $279 brand new and this will be my last baby so I don't want to spend that much money on a pump.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would use the pump and take the bottles b/c those can be sterilized. I would buy new shields and tubing though. I had a used pump in style and it worked great. I didn't however get bottles from her b/c she didn't have them anymore. FYI most 4 oz bottle will hook right up to those shields.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Other than the tubing everything else can be sterilized. I absolutely would use it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Those pumps are awesome! If you can get one second hand for less, then you might as well. Now, I would buy replacement parts for the parts that touch your body. The bottles should be fine as long as you take the extra time to wash and sterilize them to your standards! Hope it works out for you! =]
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would. You just need new tubing and maybe the suction cups. I used a second hand one with my oldest and then bought a new one when I was pregnant with my daughter. Now it sits in my closet and I have no idea what to do with it!! Any bottle hooks up to it or once you get the hang of it, you can use the storage bags and pump directly into them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I WOULDNT USED A USED ONE UNLESS IT CAME FROM A FRIEND OR FAMILY WHAT IF THEY HAD SOMETHING I HAVE A MEDELA DOUBLEBREASTED BREAST PUMP THE ONE THAT IS IN THE BAG FOR EASY CARRYING THE PUMP IS ACTUALLY CONNETED AND MY INSURANCE PAID FOR IT OR WIC WILL PAY FOR ONE IF U QUALIFTY SO U CAN GET A BRAND NEW ONE THERE ARE SEVERAL RESORSES THAT HELP U AND PERSONALLY THERE ARE SOME THINGS U JUST DNT BUY USED LIKE BOTTLES CUPS BREASTPUMPS ANYTHING THAT MIGHT AFFECT UR BABY HEALTH CAUSE I CRIED WITH THIS CHILD BECAUSE I HAD TO BUY SOME USED STUFF BUT FINACESW WERE BAD MY HUSBAND LOST HIS JOB RIGHT AFTER I FOUND I WAS PREGNANT WITH OUR THIR CHILD SO SO THINGS USED R OKAY BUT I WOULD CHECK INTO RESOURSES IN UR COMMUNITY BEFORE BUYING A USED PUMP ITS A GREAt pump but at the expense of ur child health before i found a resource to help get the pump i bought a thiry dollar single hand puymp and family offer their used double electric pumps
    jojomomofthree

Answer by jojomomofthree at 3:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes I would buy one. You can always sanitize and clean it before you use it.

I would do this and keep all of the current pieces.

Any disease that you had a potential of catching will be cleansed of the machine.

You can however sometimes get a pump through your insurance from a Durable Medical Equipment company or even from the health department.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 5:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I personally would not purchase a used one because of personal reasons and if it breaks then you can't get replacements as if you purchase a new one. I am not sure how much they will sell it to you but Amazon.com sells new ones for around $215(no tax or shipping costs too) sometimes less too. Also, Diapers.com sells them and also not tax or shipping costs and they even have 10-15% off coupons for purchases. Just an idea if you decide otherwise.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I personally wouldnt do it
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 11:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010