What is wrong with teaching that other paths are Ok?

Instead of teaching that other spiritual paths are "wrong" or against your god? This sounds so egotistical to me....it appears more about being "Right, right, right....and everyone else is wrong, wrong wrong." What do you gain from teaching your kids this, aside from indoctrinating ONE way of thinking and fear of thinking otherwise?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Me personally...

I don't view that as "wrong"..

For me. that is the way I raised my son, to find his own path. I feel that each and every person develops their beliefs (or non belief) based on their own: life experiences, feelings, way of thinking, views of the world..ect. Finding a path is very personal and very individual. Therefore, there is no way I could pick/choose/deteremine (whatever word one wants to use) my son's belief path. My job as his parent was to open doors for him, to allow him to experience, learn about, delve into, examine any and all paths that are out there. Only with that knowledge and experience would my son be able to find his own path in this life.He has chosen his path.

Side note: I also view the ideology of "my way is the only way" as being egotistical. My belief is that there is no one single right path to God. But a right path for each individual who chooses to believe in God
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well, this is a tough one. If the religion itself teaches that it is the only way or something bad will happen to you, plus that you must tell people this, a person who believes this would feel obligated to follow that. It would be like knowing an earthquake was coming and not warning people, and then have them die. That would be on your conscience, I imagine.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Basically you said it all OP... for many their beliefs are the ONLY way and to teach otherwise is wrong for them...
    I personally am teaching my grandson about many different beliefs and why many different ppl believe the way
    the do and why some do the things they do "In the name of their belief"
    By allowing our grandson this freedom (even at a young age) he will be more attuned to others and their beliefs
    and be able to (without fear) choose a spiritual path (if he so desires) that fits him and not what others
    deem is right or wrong...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• im not sure...that is why i don't have a specific religion i believe in god and everything, but every time i go to one of those suit and tie churches they make you think an feel as if you and everyone else is inferior to their ways
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't even view other religions as wrong, just as not for me.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• OP, I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching our children about other religions and to respect the faiths of others. I'm doing that with my girls. My older daughter tells me daily that one of her classmates, or another, is trying to convert her to Christianity. I tell my daughter that the other girl's faith is important to her, and when she says, "No, thanks", it should be done with respect--just as we want our views (as agnostics) to be respected.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• – collapse
    Because there is only one way. Why would I teach that paths leading to nowhere (or rather to hell) are okay?
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I personally believe this way, but I know that those who don't often believe that those of us who do only encourage others to leave the "right" path for wrong ones, and therefore cost those others to "lose" their salvation.....

Again, I personally believe there are many paths to God, but this is what I've experienced people thinking. That I'm a deceiver who lead people away from God, rather than helping people grow closer to God by helping them find what works best for them...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• well, there's nothing wrong with it..if that's your belief. if you believe there are several paths, then by all means, teach your kids that.
    teaching my child that there are people/religions that believe in other paths is completely different than my teaching him there are definitely other paths. that is not my belief, and as such, it would be ludicrous, not to mention hypocritical, for me to teach him otherwise.
    in his learning of other beliefs and religions, when he's mature and adult enough to choose something other than what dh/i have taught him, as our beliefs, then that is his choice.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• "Because there is only one way. Why would I teach that paths leading to nowhere (or rather to hell) are okay? "

This is the egotistical type of thinking I was referring to. I guess I just don't get it. But thank goodness we are all free to believe as we wish, or follow our own hearts path.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010