fenugreek

is there anyone out there that has used fenugreek? what did you think of it? any side effects? did it work? I have stopped making as much milk as I was and I do not want to give my son formula. I was making about 4 oz and now I'm making 1-2oz (and that is from both breasts) that is pumping it out too.I have been nurisng on demand as well as pumping after feedings to try and up my supply. nothing is helping.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 3:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumping is not always a good indicator of supply,eventully your pumping supply does taper off as your body evens out. If you honestly feel like your milk is having issues there are some thigns you can do, nurse more often,stay very hydrated,eat oatmeal or oat products,some say a beer especially dark ones will boost supply becasue of the yeast in them,fenugeek capsules and also blessed thistle and alfalfa. Mothers milk tea works for some as well.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• How are diapers? That's how you measure supply/milk intake in a breastfed baby, not by pumping, which if you're getting that much AFTER a feeding, that's amazing! Average pump output is .5-2 ounces combined for a missed feeding! If you decide to try fenugreek, and it really won't do much if there isn't already a real supply problem, you can start by taking 2-3 pills 3 times a day- you'll know it's working when you smell like maple syrup. You also need to nurse or pump every few hours if you are taking it for it to really be able to do it's job. Again, if there isn't a real supply problem (shown by low diaper count, consistent weight loss, missing milestones, dehydration, etc) fenugreek doesn't do a whole lot more than make you smell like maple syrup. An easier thing to try is one or two servings of oatmeal (preferably not instant) a day and increased water intake. That helped me through a 2 week nursing strike & pumping
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I havent really counted his diapers. I did this with my first child and I gave up. with him, when my supply started dropping I within a week was dried up. i do not want that to happen again. After he nurses he still roots at my breast and acts hungry. I leave him at the breast to suck but I know him and he is hungry. I refuse to give him formula so I just wait until more milk comes in. He's not sleeping well either. My lactation consultant told me to try it and see if it helps. She said if more milk comes in I will tell instantly because he will be more content and act full.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well don't give up yet. A combonation of the herbs I already posted about sometimes works better then Just the fenugeek, I used the alfalfa/fenugeek combo and it worked really well with increased nursing/pumping and staying super hydrated. Are you taking and OTC meds? some cold meds and allergy pills can dry your milk up as well.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You want to see a minimum of six wet and or poopy diapers in 24 hours after week one. DD used to cluster feed like crazy, on for a few hours, then off for a little bit, then back on for a few hours- she would keep rooting and wanting to nurse more, so I just kept switching her back and forth until she refused to latch again. She stopped that around three months. During that time she never truly acted "full", just stopped nursing for long enough to nap while I got myself something to eat lol. We went to 20 months, so I guess it worked for her to do it that way :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• GIRL IM WITH U I WANT TO TRY IT TOO I WAS MAKING THE SAME TWO TO FOUR OUNCES NOW MAYBE ONE TO TWO FROM BOTH BREASTS AND NOTHING HELPS BUT THE TROUBLE I HAVE LOOK EVERYWHERE AND CNT FIND IT ALSO MOTHER MILK I HEARDIS GOOD ITS A TEA BUT ITS HARD TO FIND IM LIKE U WILLING TO TRY WHATEVER TO GET IT GOING AGAIN BUT DEPENING HOW OLD THEY SAY LATER ITS DECREASES MY BABY THREE WEEKS
    jojomomofthree

Answer by jojomomofthree at 5:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh, and fenugreek can be found at most GNC stores, or you can have it shipped to you from their website.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2010