What are your thoughts, when you see overweight mom's at the playground?

What are your thoughts when you see overweight mom's sitting on the bench as they watch their children run around and get exercise?

I am plus sized and use playground time to run around with my children and get exercise. I noticed so many other plus sized moms just sitting down on the benches and watching their children. I'm just so frustrated one mom wouldn't push her kid on the swing but just sat there and was yelling/instructing the child on how to use the leg muscles to swing. I think it's rather unfortunate for children to see parents aren't physically interacting with them.

socialworker227

Asked by socialworker227 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I think that they are probably very tired and looking for a break. Or that they feel run down from all they do the rest of the time.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think there's a mom who hasn't had any time to herself since having kids! That's the number one reason why moms can't shed the baby weight. It certainly isn't because they're lazy or don't want to!
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 3:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• at least they are out of the house lol. I'm overweight but am very active with my son! We went to the park for a playdate today and walked all over the place!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I'm never quick to judge. I don't know their story, so it's really none of my business. I'm also a little overweight, but I put on 40 pounds right before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism...just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they are not healthy, and doesn't mean they don't exercise. I am a very healthy person, but unfortunately have a "condition" that made me put on weight and makes it harder to even come off.

I often take my kids to the park and don't always get out in the middle of it...often times I take them to the park, because I've chased them all day and want them to run off some steam. I'm already worn out most of the time...LOL1
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't care. I judge no one. I play with my kids, we are at the park to play, thats all.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No more thought than when I see a skinny mom jabbering away on her phone while the kids are beckoning her attention.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• well, i see thinner mothers doing that too. especially at the pool. they'll have a book out and not even look at their children playing (it's a water park type thing. loads of fun) i'm more of a hands on mom, so i'm right along side my kiddos playing (a kid at heart) but i know that some mothers just need a bit of relaxation time.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't really pay much attention to what other parents are doing at the park...I am too busy playing with my kids and trying to run after all three of them....plus, there is no point in assuming that just because they are overweight means they don't run around with their kids...maybe they just aren't feeling well that day, or they are taking a break or something. You never know what is going on with someone else, so why assume something??
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think it's their business what they do. Now I was overweight and I followed my son around like a hawk. I couldn't climb on everything but I could at least be near him. It wasn't a matter of getting exercise though, I just wanted to keep a close eye on him. Especially when there are bigger kids that think nothing of pushing over a toddler to get where they're going.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think that it is there life and they area missing out on some great quality time with their kids at the park. I have to chase after mine or she is attempting to do stuff she is to short for and will truly injure herself and we will end up in the er.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010