Should I take him now?

The other day I took my son to his pediatrician for his 2 year check up and I was told it was time to take him to the dentist. I heard that you couldnt until age 3 and he just turned 2. He doesn't ever sit still not even at the doctors. I know they have to see a dentist before they go to school. Should I take him now like she said or can I wait till he is 3 and about to go to head start?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD has been going to the dentist sents she was 9 months old. We have a dentist around the corner that only sees children from 6 months old to 12 yrs old. I was told ones she had 4 teeth she goes to the dentist every 6-9 months until she is 3 and then after once a year.
    I would take him in, my DD doesn't sit still either but, they have your child sit on your lap. You are the one that knows your child best so you are the only one that can decide if your child can wait till his is 3 or if he should go in right away. They will check and make sure that there is enough space between teeth and that his teeth are being brushed well enough and if your missing anywhere.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i'd definitely take him. that first visit is normally just to get them used to it. they don't really do anything special. they'll brush, floss, and "count" the teeth. they don't do x-rays until 3 years old, so it shouldn't be too scary.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• They recommend starting at age 1. I believe 3 is the old rule. The earlier you start, the better. For one, it helps your child get used to going to the dentist. They don't start really doing anything until 3, other than fluoride, but it does help them become comfortable. My son has been going to his dentist since he was 15 months old and he goes every 6 months (he's 3 1/2 now) and he is now comfortable w/ the dentist poking around his mouth.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would take him now, only because I didn't take my oldest son til he was 3 and he had to have 3 teeth pulled and fillings. To prevent that. I think you should take him now. Even tho they are his baby teeth, u don't know how long he will have his baby teeth for.
    tiffany2011

Answer by tiffany2011 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well you don't have to take him its your child. If you take him young they get use to the dentist and aren't afraid of them and all the equiptment. They have special dentists for children, and they have staff that can handle them also. I myself think its a good idea, but not a necessity.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You can take him whenever YOU feel that he is ready to go. Mine will need to start orthodontic work around the age of 5, so we will have to get started with that type of atmosphere when she is about 3. She has severe crowding of her teeth and they aren't all in yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• take him!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would take him! My friend waited and her son had to have teeth pulled,she thought that because they were baby teeth that it did not matter! Well it does!!!! Take your child to the dentist. They r trained to deal with active kids!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Take him when you feel ready to take him. No one can force you. Are there pediatric dentists in your area? There aren't where we live, and I'd feel better taking a young child to a dentist that specializes in children.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• take him whenever you feel it's time. We are waiting until three years
    KayMMIV

Answer by KayMMIV at 4:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010