Will my unborn child have birth defects?

I was wondering if I had a big chance of my unborn child having birth defects, from having 2 MRI's 3 weeks before I found out about me being pregnant, and a surgical preseger due to gall bladder problems. I had my gall bladder removed. Do i have a big chance? Please if anyone can help.

tiffany2011

Asked by tiffany2011 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the gallbladder should be fine, i think other people have had theirs removed while preg as well...but when you get into your first apt with your ob they will do all sorts of blood work and ultrasounds to check for defects. I think you'll be ok though, but be sure to tell your ob when you meet with them again.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would not think so you might ask your DR. to be sure and they will probably do a level 2 ultrasound around 12 weeks on you to be sure just try to relax and take extra care of your self for now.

martat

Answer by martat at 3:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• There is a possibility. But you need to talk with your OB. We can't tell you for sure, only testing will be an indicator. And even those can be misleading. I would say it's a big possibility, but if you didn't miscarry by now, that's a good sign that things aren't as bad as they could be. You weren't that far along, which is also a good thing. Go to ask.com if you just can't wait. But, still, nothing will be a difinate answer until the baby is born. Tests can give false answers when pregnant.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not sure. Does your doctor know about the MRIs? How far along are you? Maybe you had the MRIs before you concieved.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I would talk to your ob, if they are concerned they will refer you to a genetic counselor.
    KayMMIV

Answer by KayMMIV at 4:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I havent been to OB cuz of no insurance, and i'm in the process of a beginning of a lawsuit with the hospital because they messed up and didn't do a pregnancy test when i told them I was unsure. I am 6 weeks and I know I was pregnant when I had the MRI's because It was a week in a half before I had my gallbladder removed. And I was already four weeks in.
    tiffany2011

Comment by tiffany2011 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• hun you are asking a question that none of us can answer.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not likely as long as you are doing your prenatals, which you can get OTC, and all. But many other factors play into birth defects. Noone here can give you a definite answer.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I dont want a definite answer. I was just wondering if its possible. And if anyone else has ever gone throw the same thing.
    tiffany2011

Comment by tiffany2011 (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010