Can I choose to only breastfeed from one side?

After several bouts of mastitis I have decided enough is enough and I need to stop feeding from the affected (right) side. I would love to be able to continue feeding from the left side morning and evening. Has anyone else CHOSEN to feed from one side only? ? I want to stop the supply on the right as quickly as possible (although realise I can't do it too suddenly) to try and prevent getting mastitis again. Will continuing on the left mean I will continue to produce milk for longer on the right? Baby is nearly 6 months old.

Poots

Asked by Poots at 4:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you get enough sleep? Thats one of the biggest culprits to mastitis. And to answer your question. Yes, you can choose to breastfeed only on one side, no need to suppliment either.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I have never nursed from only one side like that, so I can't answer on if its possible or how to go about drying up the other side.

Do you know what causes your mastitis?

I got it quite a few times when I was nursing my son. Wearing bras and sleeping on my side/tummy was my culprit. I had it like 3 times and then never again?

Good luck mama!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Do you sleep on your right side? I think that pressure can cause mastitis, have you asked your doctor about it? Its totally possible to only nurse from one side though- good luck either way!
    christine.r2624

Answer by christine.r2624 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes, you can nurse only on one side. Your body will just pick up production on the side you are still using. Just get some socks or something so you can stuff one side of your bra, cause you'll be lopsided for a while. :)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• MY RIGHT SIDE HAS A BETTER NIPPLE BUT MY LEFT PRODUCING MORE MILK AT FIRST HE PREFER THE LEFT NOW ITS THE RIGHT I JUST INCREASE THE TIME ON THE RIGHT WHEN I CAN GET HIM TO BREATFEED JUST CONTINUING PUMPING BOTH SIDES IF U CAN IF CAN IF NOT BREASTFEED ON ONE SIDE AS LONG AS U CAN ITS POSSIBLE FOR U STOP PRODUCING MILK BUT IF ANYTHING ELSE ANYTHING ELSE EVEN IF UR MILK CONTINUE TO COME IF U ONLY FEED ONE SIDE AT LEAST U HAVE COMFORT KNOWING SIX GOOD MONTHS OF FEEDING
    jojomomofthree

Answer by jojomomofthree at 5:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes, most women will do fine and make enough milk using only one side. The unused side will stop producing, and the other side will make more milk as baby nurses off that one side. You may be lopsided but they will even out after weaning.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement - far more than I managed to get from any of the GPs or health visitors. I stopped feeding off the right side as planned and 3 months later am delighted to still be feeding my 9 month old baby from the left side morning and evening. The mastitis didn't return once I stopped feeding off the affected side (despite stopping rather abruptly). Being lopsided hasn't been an issue, probably because I'm down to just 2 feeds a day anyway.

Thanks again!
    Poots

Comment by Poots (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011