What can I do to help my 21 month switch from a crib to a toddler bed?

My son is 21 months old, he's almost 2 and we have been meaning to get him a toddler bed for a while but just haven't really done it. He absolutely WILL NOT sleep anywhere other than his crib, not with us, not in the car, nowhere. Normally we put him to bed and leave him, he'll talk to himself , maybe cry then pass right out. I'm afraid with his new bed it won't be that easy and he'll get up and run around and won't go to bed, given the opportunity that he can get out. ANY type of help would be really appreciated. My first child, so I'm still learning as I go!

Krystal W.

Asked by Krystal W. at 4:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how about taking a side off for a bit? make it into a little day bed type thing.... then let him pick out a new bed all for himself..... if you're getting a toddler bed for him, maybe let him see that the mattress is the same.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I just put my son into a "big boy bed" one day. He was totally fine. If hes happy to sleep in his crib, can you just let him stay there? is there a reason you want to put him in a toddler bed? Some kids stay in cribs until theyre 3! (I moved my son at 18 months because he was "ready")
    christine.r2624

Answer by christine.r2624 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• There's really no particular reason I'm wanting to press the issue other than his age I suppose. I mean, I've thought about taking the side off to see how he does. I guess moving at his pace would be best. I'm not going to force him into a toddler bed if he isn't ready for it. Thanks a bunch
    Krystal8788

Comment by Krystal8788 (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We let our daughter "help" put the toddler bed together, this was really great, as she really got into it and was so excited about her new bed....we had no adjustment period she loved it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2010