Is it considered blasphemy if you question your faith?

Ok I asked a question earlier about being nervous when questioning your faith, then seen another question dealing with blasphemy, would it be considered blasphemy if you believe that there are many paths to God besides Christianity, that is my issue, I for myself believe in God, and I believe in Jesus, but I do not agree a lot with the christian faith as a whole, more from experience with the holier than thou attitude I get from other christians, I also don't think that christians have it all right, I believe God to be more complex than the little box that religion tries to put him in, is this considered blasphemy against the holy spirit if you think that all religions have some truth and false among them.

lisadallasr

Asked by lisadallasr at 4:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think so. I know you are not Buddhist, but Buddhists encourage doubt within your own religion. They say doubt leads you to advancement. Doubt should be the opposite of faith, but it seems to me that "faith" has been dumbed down to mean nothing but rigid and uncritical acceptance of dogma. "Faith" also is used to mean uncritical belief in divine beings, miracles, heaven and hell, and other phenomena that cannot be proved.

"Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." ~ Richard Dawkins

Faith and doubt in the religious sense are both about openness. Faith is about living in an open-hearted and courageous way and not a closed up, self-protecting way. Faith helps us overcome our fear of pain, grief and disappointment and stay open to new experience and understanding. The other kind of faith, which is a head filled up with certainty, is closed.

Cont..

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Doubt in the religious sense acknowledges what is not understood. While it actively seeks understanding, it also accepts that understanding will never be perfect. Some Christian theologians use the word "humility" to mean about the same thing. The other kind of doubt, which causes us to fold our arms and declare that all religion is bunk, is closed.

I think the dogmatic approach to religion, the one that demands unquestioning loyalty to an absolute belief system, is a faithless one. This approach causes people to cling to dogmas rather than follow a path. When taken to extremes, the dogmatist can be lost within the fantasy edifice of fanaticism.

Which takes us back to speaking of religion as "faith." In my experience Buddhists rarely speak of Buddhism as a "faith." Instead, it's a practice. Faith is part of the practice, but so is doubt.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't believe so, no. I believe questioning is a normal part of growth.

I believe there are many paths to God, I don't feel its blasphemous. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I do not think God ever asked his followers to be BLIND. As long as your search for the truth for yourself doesnt end in putting down beliefs you dont personaly believe in, i dont see how seeking, questioning, or trying t learn the truth for yourself would be blasphemy
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 5:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not, it's not blasphemy. In my opinion if you don't question your faith, you never find out what it really means to you. Otherwise you're just following it blindly because that's how you were raised or that's what you think is expected of you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• No, I don't believe that's blasphemy. I believe blasphemy means denouncing God even when you are well aware of his existence.

Here's my take on religion: I think that our faith gets poisoned when we allow ourselves to listen only to what other people tell us. When we get caught up in the "holier than thou" attitude, like you were talking about, or when we take to heart the judgment and personal opinions of other human beings, it's like a venom that slowly erodes our faith. Suddenly we're not "Christian enough" if we don't do everything just like someone else thinks we should.

I'm sorry, but aren't we all imperfect, according to the Bible? That makes us all equally imperfect, equally human, and equally in need of God's grace. What God wants for us is to have a personal relationship with Him. I don't believe that involves blindly following the righteous trumpeting of other imperfect human beings.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• In one sense...yes. Because if you question the Christian faith and believe in something else then in one way you are denying the holy ghost/spirit and that is blasphemous,etc.

So, if you reject Christianity's basics esp. the one about the holy ghost then ya it would be blasphemy.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If you believe in Jesus, how can you deny what He Himself stated:

"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me."

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• For my faith? No. My belief system encourages questions and exploration. However, blasphemy is not in any way shape or form present in my beliefs, so either way, NO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Thank you all for your response. I do believe in Jesus Christ but I also believe there is many paths to God, I don't think Christianity has it all the way correct. I have more issues I believe with the church more than the faith itself, not just my church but church in general. I feel churches today have lost there compassion to humanity unless you fit to there standard, this is what has made me look at christianity differently. I feel there is so much hypocrisy in the church, I am not comfortable with a lot of the interpetation that is preached today, one major one is the prosperity message, that message right there has put a bad taste in my mouth where church is concerned. I also feel that other religions are not false religions, they might not believe exactly like I do but I don't think there wrong, they just have a different view of God than I do, and I feel we all can learn from each other if we put forth the effort.
    lisadallasr

Comment by lisadallasr (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2010