Naps! 1 or 2?

So Jace has been on a 2 nap schedule since he was six months. Each nap is usually around 1 hour. He's now 8 months... he was sick on Monday and we had to take him into the Dr. during what would have been his morning nap, so he didn't get to nap until 11:30 then he slept for 2.5-3 hours so he skipped his afternoon nap that day.

Well ever since that day he refuses to take his morning nap and he waits until 11:30 then sleeps for 2.5-3 hours... is it okay that he is only napping 1x day as long as he is getting in the hours?

His bedtime is 7:30 and he used to wake up at 7:30am but since he started napping late now he sleeps until 8:00-30.

This fine by me... but I just thought he should have two naps instead of one or does it not matter as long as he gets 1 long nap? I just thought it wasn't until 1 year or later that this would happen... should I try and switch it back or stick with it as is?

Deanna2426

Asked by Deanna2426 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they are supposed to get some where around 15 hours of sleep total under a year...I think. If that is the case then he is getting his a looted amount and it should be fine. Also if he is still going to bed for you at night and isn't getting overly cranky then I guess it's a schedule that works for you guys.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• lol! how about *allotted*.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• oops then it made that correction anon. I'm sorry I have totally screwed up your question by correcting all my stuff!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• It's perfectly fine. My boys schedules before age 1 were with only one long nap and bedtime at 7-8pm until 6-7am. There is no set rule on this just what your baby needs is what is important . Schedules will change all time and you just have to adjust as they change.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 4:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I've always went with the flow. You can't MAKE 'em sleep... at least I couldn't with my little girl... she's 2 now but her whole life I've just let her tell ME when she's sleepy. She changes up her nap schedule on me all the time, but when she changes it, it usually stays consistent around those times and for the same length of time for a while. I figure any changes in schedule are because her body's changing. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as there's SOME nap in there. Recently, a month or 2 after DD's 2nd bday she just STOPPED taking naps altogether. I tried to put her down but she just wasn't tired... at ALL. So a couple months went by with NO naps and she seemed just fine, no sleep changes or disruption at night or anything, same bedtime as always. Then one day she got cranky and said "Rock me, mama" so I did and she passed out on me for 2-3 hours. That's how she is now.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My kids had 2 naps until they were around 1 - they had a morning nap for approx 1-2 hours and then an afternoon nap fro 2-4 hours. Now they just have the afternoon nap - usually for around 2.5-3 hours. They go to bed at 8 and are up by 7ish. Don't base your kids nap schedule to anyone elses - you do what works for you and him :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 5:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• At 4 months my son will nap when he wants. He has no day schedule. Sometimes he'll take one good 2 to 3 hour nap, other days he will take several 20 minute naps as the day goes on. One thing he does EVERY NIGHT is go to sleep by 8PM, and stay asleep until about 4 am. With that, I am HAPPY.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010