Am I too anal?

I want my kids to have a good education, from start to finish.

I went through the trouble of going through the school districts test scores for each elementary school one by one. Out of well over 25 schools only 7 did I find to have acceptable enough scores for my children.

I want them in a school that they will be driven and one which will nourish their growth in a positive way.

I now plan to go to the schools, do a tour by myself and then do a tour with my daughter to allow her the chance to express what she does and does not like as well.

She is only starting the first grade next school year.

Is this overly anal as a parent?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it is great that you are going through the trouble to make sure you children have a good education, so many parents are not involved anymore!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 5:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Well, you have to do what is comfortable for you, as a teacher I can say test scores aren't always an accurate way to judge a student or the school. Many standardized test score doesn't really show what a student really knows. Some of my best students do very poor on the tests. Find a school where the atmosphere feels right and the teaching philosophy matches yours. Good luck!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Hmm... maybe. If I had been like that, I would've been in for a lot of trouble. My son is special needs. Had I chosen his school from "the best of the best" he would've gotten tossed to the side. There is a school that is great for smart kids (I know,I excelled there, and my sister did not because she has a learning disability) ... if I had sent my son there, they would not have given him the attention and the help that he needs. The school he goes to does not strive to be the best - they take time for their challenged kids as well as help promote higher learning for the more advanced children.

I certainly hope your daughter's school is also good for the "not so smart" children instead of being all about awesome test scores.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Personally, I don't think so. I went through a similar process finding schools for my boys.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 4:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't think so. When my youngest was getting ready to start kindergarten, we visited and evaluated each elementary school in our district (11 in all) and ended up sending him to the one we felt was the best fit for him.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• nope not at all
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 4:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• also go to a pta meeting.... see how involved the parents are.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Wanting a good school for your kids is ok. Touring the school that is fine. But letting your DD tour it and express what she does and deos not like about it is crazy to me. If she does not like the school, any of them, What are you going to do? Home school her? they will not change anything just because she said she does not like the collor or window blinds.

Answer by louise2 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I agree with skittles completely & have also found that the smartest of kids, don't always test well. I don't like how a lot of these tests are done. I think they put too much pressure on young children. I know my DD was very stressed out in second grade when taking her tests. I don't think 2nd graders should be stressed out about taking tests at all. They made it seem like it was life or death.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Not at all, good job!!!!

Answer by older at 5:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010