how much is enough?

im trying to go thru stuff and get rid of what i dont need or use, and i manage to get done very little at a time...like a room within 2 hrs, and thats not including closets. i start to feel over whelmed. my house isnt cluttered by any means, just hard tryin to figure out what to keep and what not to. i hope to get rid of most of what i dont need b4 i move, and i dont plan on moving for at least a month or two. i also plan on filing for divorce when i move out. im also a full time college student and have 3 kids ages 7 and under. i just feel like i should be doing more i guess

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Ask yourself these questions:
    Have I used/worn this in the last 6 months?
    Does it have sentimental value?

If both answers are no, get rid of it.

Don't worry about moving too slow... it takes time! Get an outsider to help if you keep getting stuck. Outsiders will always go through things quicker than you can. I went through my moms whole house in just a few weeks (she's a packrat)... but I still get stuck on my own house!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i just cleaned out my atic over the summer. we've lived here for almost 3 yerars, and never really went through any of it, and just left it there since we moved in. i was tired of the mess so i went through every box and through out or took to goodwill most of it. i ended up with 5 little boxes, excluding holiday decorations. after that i felt like i was ona roll, so i did that with the entire house of things out of place or not being used. i felt accomplished afterwards, and relieved!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 5:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You accumulate stuff over the years and even if we don't use it, they have some sentimental value and it is hard to throw away. Good luck!

Answer by older at 4:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• i went through a closet yesterday and it took me almost 2 hrs. it just takes time to sort and organize things, then there is the chore of actualy getting rid of things. if you have a few months a little at a time is ok.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You are doing plenty. This is coming from Tootoobusy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2010